Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HIFU

I agree that Toronto would likely be a good choice for HIFU if it's convenient. I believe it's the 'Maple Leaf Clinic'. A Toronto T.V. station did a very positive report on it in the past year on the nightly news. I gave it some consideration but elected to have the prostate removed.

Imeant to this one:

http://www.can-amhifu.com/ and ask for Dr. Jack Barkin, they have a pretty large HIFU SB500 clinic with lots of experience.

HIFU ablates the whole gland. Only very few people opted for HIFU Hemiablation.

I do not recommend one over the other one, but rather to ask for a second opinion.

I have heard and I have this problem is that HIFU can cause urethral strictures. Apparently, when the prostate is destroyed with the heating from the ultrasound, scar tissue is formed. For some reason that scar tissue will cause constriction of the urethral tube. Normally, scar tissue is designed to constrict to close a wound. In the urethra it may reduce the opening. In my case I had some constriction and the HIFU urologist dilated the urethra. A few months later the urethral stricture came back and he dilated again. This occurred a third time. I all cases after the dilation I was not cathetered and maybe that was the problem to keep the urethra open while it healed.
After the third time it closed up completely and I had to go to the emergency for catheterization. Unfortunately, the opening was too small and a catheter could not go through the stricture. The nurses tried several times and thought they had it in but when they started to inflat the bulb at the end of the catheter it was still in the urethra. This action stretched the urethra so the urine could flow again.
I discovered from my HIFU urologist that Sonablate 500 was starting to show up more of this problem and there was no explanation.

Johann,

I had HIFU almost 2 years ago, I didn't have any troubles at all, a bit of a slow erection at first, but I have forgotten that.

The case of scar tissue in the urethra is because of the doctor, this is where experience counts. The gland itself is left as scar tissue and so that makes me wonder if there was cancer left...could it travel outside the gland, through hard scar tissue? doesn't seem likely to me, and so I am even more happy to have been told about HIFU.

I used Dr. Scionti of nyhifucenter.com and I haven't found anyone who doesn't rave about how he is the best. He's treated over 1,000 men in the course of 6 years and is always there to answer my questions.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS