Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do you think is going on

I had LRP on 1/2/2008. Negative margins.
All PSA tests up to 8/2009 were reported as less than 0.04.
PSA on 8/2009 reported as 0.06.

Surgeon said to ignore anything below 0.1. Family doc checked around, agreed and asked the lab not to report below 0.1.

PSA 12/2009 reported as less than 0.1.

Got results back today, 5/2010 lab reported at 0.05. Doc does not know why lab is back reported below 0.1.

In any case, went from 0.06 in Aug/2009 to 0.05 in May/2010 so it looks like I should not be worried.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
SoCal

Re: What do you think is going on

I would continue getting the ultrasensitive test just for my own information. Ultrasensitive numbers can give you an earlier indication of recurrence; if you got numbers like .04, .05, .06, .08, .10 then you can prepare yourself that you will probably be going for more treatment in a few years. Your PSA numbers aren't indicating any recurrence but if they do start to get up to .2 then you should be thinking of more treatments. I found the next round, radiation & hormone treatment, to be far better than I was expecting but I was in otherwise good health.

I agree with Frank. My numbers over the 15 months have gone like this: <0.04, 0.06, <0.04, 0.07, 0.09. Looks like I might be coming back with cancer, but my Docs say wait. Keep up with the ultra-sensitive test...!

Good luck, and regards.

SoCal,

I don't know if you read the bit about ultra-sensitive tests I put on the site at ULTRA SENSITIVE PSA

That might help you understand some of the issues.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Just an update to my post above, I got my latest result back this weekend, <0.04. So now I have had <0.04, 0.06, <0.04, 0.07, 0.09, and now <0.04. There is ultra-sensitive psa angst, which causes needless stress for some people. I had a large volume of cancer in my prostate, and so my doc prefers to see the early signs that the test provides. He has also told me not to worry unless it rises above 0.1 and continues up, and so I don't!

I see him tomorrow, and will post any relevant comments he has to make.

Good luck.

Charles

Thanks.
I guess you had your surgery around Feb. 2009.

If you did not have the super sensitive test then your results would all have been undetectable. You would have had less worry. My guess is that you won't get any treatment unless you go above 0.1 or 0.2. Not sure I see the value of the ultra sensitive test. Maybe you (and I) will have PSAs more frequently and perhaps catch a rise to 0.1 or above sooner.

Thanks again. Looking forward to hearing your results.

SoCal

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS