Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Active surveillance with diet/lifestyle changes in a new Gleason 7?

Hi Joe. I'm 61 and live near Toronto. I had my prostate removed painlessly a couple of years ago. I was diagnosed as a Gleason 6 but was confirmed to my disappointment as a 7 by the pathology report after my surgery. I believe that higher pathology reorts are not uncommon.
I have heard of Klotz as a member at my golf course was successfully operated on by him 4 years ago and I know another chap who was on watch and wait with Klotz for I think 5 or 6 years before finally being advised to be operated on.
I heard a Radiologist speak recently who said that there are newer improved methods for doing the Brachy that give you the same odds as removal. That's kind of neat.
I think personally that a Gleason 6 is fine for watchful waiting but a Gleason 7 may invite some extra attention. I hope your hockey team wins the Stanley Cup for Canada.
Bobbyboy

Hi Bobbyboy,

It's been a month since I made my post initially to this list and I've just checked in now because I thought the discussion forum was closed. Thanks for your email.

I completely agree that GS 7 requires extra attention and that a fair number of pathology reports of the removed prostate will be different than the biopsy, usually more volume and upgrading. So, I'm cautious, but also feel I have a couple more months to make a decision. That's what they're telling me. I've done a fair amount over the month, medical consults, bone scan, 2nd opinion on pathology, all of which have been sometimes conflicting and nerve wracking, but mostly illuminating. I've been on a progressive change in diet so that over the past few weeks, completely vegan, low fat. PSA has gone down from 6.9 to 5.3 form mid-Jan to mid-Apr. Not fooling myself that this represents underlying tumor change, however. Still, better down than up! I am getting another urological opinion here and planning to consult with Klotz as well. Then put it all together. 90% probability that by June I will be under the knife. But, I want to rule out possible, less invasive possibilities first. And, that's the course. In the meantime, feeling fine, most of the time. Talking to people, support groups and trying my darndest to use this situation to focus my priorities in life and learn about what's important- even enrich(Strum, p 12).

I'm interested in your painless surgery. Where? Who?

Take care,

Joe

Bobbyboy,

I forgot to mention the most important thing--

GO CANUCKS GO! Did you see them spank the Hawks?

Game 2 in a half hour.

Joe

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS