Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can someone answer this question?

My common-law husband has been having a lot of prostate cancer symtoms. Now I know that this could also be an infection called prostatitis but I am looking for thoughts.
When he went to the urologist, the doctor told him that he is too young to have cancer (he is 36 years old), and that this cancer doesn't hurt.
What I am wondering is if any of you could give me proof that this cancer does not only attack older men but also younger men and if any of you could confirm whether or not this cancer can or cannot be painful.
I am very frustrated and concerned for him as we are trying to start a family and for obvious reasons are having trouble with this.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Re: Can someone answer this question?

Aloha Ally,
First we would need to know what you mean by "prostate cancer symtoms". The only way to identify PCa is by having a biopsy performed by a urologist.
If you could explain these symtoms, that would help get started. Also, you should get a second and perhaps a third opinion from other urologists.
Joe

Dear Ally,

Prostate cancer is more previlent in men over 50, but having said that, It is certainly not impossible that a 36yr old could have PCa. Did the Oncologist give your Partner a PSA and then a DRE test? if so what were the results. If he has an infected Prostate or BHP is he being treated for it?

If PCa starts to hurt, ie. trouble passing urine, blood in urine ets. then it is generally in the advanced stage, the earlier it is detected, the more chance of a cure.

Admittedly your partner is young to have PCa, even if it is just for peace of mind, I strongly suggest that he has it checked out, as you are obviously worried.

Just read some of the stories on this site, believe me, PCa is not a good way to die.

Why did your Partner go to an Oncologist? was he referred by your Dr? If that is the case, I suggest you get a second opinion from another Oncologist.

Please keep us informed of the outcome if you decide to take control of your Partners Prostate health worries.

I hope that he dosn't have PCa, but it is way better to be sure than sorry.

Good Luck.

Ally,

You say

My common-law husband has been having a lot of prostate cancer symtoms. Now I know that this could also be an infection called prostatitis but I am looking for thoughts. When he went to the urologist, the doctor told him that he is too young to have cancer (he is 36 years old), and that this cancer doesn't hurt.

To deal with the last bit first, I think that what the doctor may have been saying was that in early stages prostate cancer rarely causes pain or any other symptoms - and it seems from the first part of what you day that your partner is suffering some painful symptoms.

At 36 he would be very young to have prostate cancer. Less than one man in a hundred diagnosed with prostate cancer is under the age of 45.

As John has said, tyour partner should have had a DRE (Digital Rectal Examination) a PSA and free PSA test and various other tests for infections of the bladder or prostate gland, which, in a young man are far more likely to give rise to painful symptoms and even a raised PSA number. Another source of problems, which I hesitate to mention, but nevertheless needs to be said is that the kind of symptoms you may be talking about are also associated with sexually transwitted diseases.

All in all what Joe, John and I are saying is that there are many causes for symptoms and all should be considered, but prostate cancer is probably the elast likely.

You might like to read A STRANGE PLACE to give you some background information.

Prostate men need enlightening, not frightening
Terry Herbert in Australia- diagnosed in 1996 and still going strong

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS