Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Thank you for the input

Many thanks for those of you who answered my post.

Some of you suggested approaching support groups, but that has proved to be counter-productive. Those who I have approached either did not respond or said they had thei own information.

The point about getting computer literate people to help their non-computer literate people is a valid one, but getting Yana to a higher position on search engines is not as easy as you might think. If you enter prostate cancer into Google there are 10,800,000 sites. The top ones have funds and resources to ensure that they are on page one. I simply don’t have those. Yana comes in at #101

But, on the other hand, since my focus is on surviving prostate cancer, if you enter prostate cancer survivors into Google there are 197,000 sites, but there is Yana at the top of the heap – quite an achievement for a small site like mine BUT, enter surviving prostate cancer and you’ll find there are “ only” 97,500 links – many to Patrick Walsh’s book – and Yana doesn’t make it until # 108!! Generally speaking, no one looks beyond the first page on a search.

The suggestion that members of this Forum – or the other prostate cancer Lists – might help by talking to their urologists and doctors seems a good idea too, but we’ve tried that and have had virtually zero response. That’s what I call The Little Red Hen Syndrome Quite simply there are no volunteers.

What I am trying now is to advertise in a local paper The Senior which has a circulation of about 600,000 throughout Australia. The advertising rates are lower than a regular paper and so I’m going to try spending about $350 for two issues and see if that produces a result. If it does, maybe I can look to finding in similar publication – perhaps with AARP in the US? Of course one problem, if this idea does work is that if it is too successful, I won’t have enough funds to print enough copies, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I’ll let you know how it goes, but thanks to you who did respond.

Re: I need input from you:

Aloha Terry,
One other place that would be accessable to get the word out is the religious ministry. When a man is diagnosed, he may share that information with his clergy before treatment. I did.
Joe

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS