Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bladder and Colon Cancer

I am 48 years old and am 6 months post-op from prostate surgery. I had it done at MD Anderson with a doctor who used the DaVinci Robot.

My margins were clear, PSA was 3.88, Gleason was 3+4 (7) I was told that I had a better than a 90% survival rate at 10 years out.

My Question- Is there any need to be concerned with Bladder and or colon cancer since I had prostate cancer?

Re: Bladder and Colon Cancer

Scot,

There is no connection between prostate cancer and bladder/colon cancer as far as I know. It is possible for prostate cancer to spread to other organs, including theoretically, bladder and colon, but with your clear margins that possibiity seems very low.

The only serious pssibility of PCa treatment resulting in further cancers is the radiotherapy treatments. The general medical view is that this will not happen, but there are some small studies and some anecdotal evidence that there might be a causal relationship.

Like most things about PCa there is little certainty - and that is mainly because the disease generally takes so long to develop that it is very difficult to study.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Re: Bladder and Colon Cancer

I asked the head of a Cancer Agency that question and basically he said what Terry said. Going forward you still have a chance of getting cancer just like everybody else and maybe it is slightly more if you've had radiation but they don't seem to see that with their patients.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS