Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: recent diagnosis

Terry,

As you know, we Americans are terrified of universal health care. Our media is replete with anecdotal stories about Canadians rushing our borders to access top dollar, private care. This is an important week for our health care system; maybe we'll take our first steps towards universal coverage with greater emphasis on preventative care. I hear the international ridicule.....Unfortunately we're pretty xenophobic and slow to learn from others that do it better.

I spoke to a trusted friend today and he observed that my own psychological comfort will impact my treatment. Many people just want to "get rid of it and cut it out". Thanks in large part to this YANA site, I recognize that I was rushed into a process, and need to slow down. Best regards -Stephen

Stephen:
The advice your father is giving you is somewhat good. With only one in 12 cores showing cancer, it is not something to ignore, but it is also something that needs to be monitored, and not acted upon immediately (my opinion only). One suggestion is to get a fPSA, which is another tool to indicate how much of the PSA in your score is the bad stuff; Terry has a good explanation here: http://www.yananow.net/PSA101.htm

I assume that your PSA test was your first one? Although quite high for your age, PSA's do fluctuate and the medical community, generally, looks at "velocity" (PSA change over time) before they push the panic button.

Spend some time here on YANA and find the do's and don't's before your next PSA test.

Good luck, and congratulations on getting a PSA test, most guys won't get it done at your age!

Mike C (Canada)

Mike ... good advice, but, the "panic button" was pushed when he heard the word "cancer" ... remember?

That one word changes us physically and mentally forever. Now, any ache and pain, and our beloved brain thinks it's somehow cancer related.

Stephen... you got time ... review this site in great detail ... read every story, every one ... and decide on your future course of action ... but, again, you DO have time.

Good luck sir.

Stephen,
I am a relatively young man like you going through the same things...I am 45..
I won't get into the whole story here but I have been Monitoring my PSA levels for a few years due to a strong Family history,,Over the last year I saw a 1 point increase and I saw another one point increase over the last 3 months (My last check I was at 4.5)..Cipro Had no effect..DRE was negative but there was some shadowing on my Ultra Sound...I had a Biopsy last Friday and expect the results today or tommorrow.
I was divorced and Married a great woman that is 12 years younger than me..So I have some concerns over Erectile Disfunction..Reading the reports here has somewhat put me at ease because I see a pretty high rate of success on younger men returning to a somewhat normal sex life following surgery.(Following sometimes a long rehab period)
Just wanted you to know you aren't alone brother and from what I have read there are quite a few of us 50 and under "Prostate focused" men out there...
Good luck,
Brian

Good luck with the Biopsy. I found the blood afterwards to be the most disconcerting. I do think that we young'uns have an extra wrinkle. I would prefer to avoid surgery. I have a second opinion scheduled for next Wednesday.

Down here in Florida health in general, and prostate cancer in particular are booming business'. Just yesterday I was driving by billboards and listening to radio adds touting one procedure over another....

Like a few other things in life, we are at a juncture and need to choose a path. Once taken, there's no going back. Keep the faith......-stephen

Stephen,

I was diagnosised on Feb. 16. My PSA is 2.2 and my Gleason is 6. I realized that this type of cancer in like being run over by a glasier and I had time to investigate. After completing my evaluation it all came down to one thing, no matter which treatment I choose my chances of survival is the same and the chances are pretty good. I prefered not to survive wearing diapers and hoping that Viagar works so I chose the treatment with the least side effects, proton therapy. There are many good books out there on this topic and tons of info on this Website, so take your time and make the decision that works best for you. Do not listen to any one doctor. I would be happy to share my research with you if you would like to e-mail directly or you can just follow my posts on this site as soon as that function is up and running.

Take care,

Greg

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS