Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: how much tissue is examined in post op pathogy

Good question, Dan, and one that never occurred to me. I don't have much time now but will certainly try to chase this down. At my first attempt I found this link Guideline for optimization of surgical pathological quality performance for radical prostatectomy in prostate cancer management: surgical and pathological guidelines. and thought I'd hit the jackpot. But in fact it reminds me of the old joke about the accountant and the man in the balloon. It gives very precise information that is of now value in resolving your question!!

As to the differences between needle biopsy grades and post-surgical grades, there are many studies that demonstrate both undergrading and overgrading in the needle biopsy results. Usually these are about one third the same, one third under, one third over. And for some poor men, regrettably after surgery it is fond that the biopsy specimens were misread and thre was no tumour. Hence the recommendation to get a second opinion from Recognized Experts

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS