Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lingering effects of ADT?

At age 56 and after 2 years of Lupron, my testosterone level began to rise 6 months after cessation of the drug. By one year after cessation T levels were normal. The "no rules" applies again. I'm now 57 and still have some soft tissue damage from the radiation but judging by my other "symptoms", I am one of the lucky ones although the use of ED medication definitely improves the experience.

My understanding is that it takes at least 3 mos. after cessation for the pituitary gland to start stimulating the testes to produce testosterone and T level is totally unpredictible depending on the individual. - p (Alaska, USA)

Many thanks for your comments. Overall, I am inclined to think that the good doctor meant well but, in this instance, has probably got it wrong.

My own experience, combined with the comments I hear and read from others, leads me to believe that testosterone levels will usually take some time to recover following the end of ADT. On the basis that lowered testosterone will, in most cases, have a limiting effect on tumour growth and probably on PSA readings, it seems likely that these two things may be affected for some time after the end of treatment.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
Hope you're well. My Casodex has led to very sore nipples. My surgeon said that even after I cease Casodex (some time after my HDR and EBRT) I can expect 3 months before the side effects go. Thereofre it's reasonable to assume, as you've done, that the lowering effect on PSA may also continue for up to 3 months.

But don't let that diminish your enjoyment of very low PSA for a man with a largely intact prostate!!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS