Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hormone Deprivation

Variable is the word. Some men recover remarkably quickly, some take longer. The factors that seem to affect recovery (but not consistently) are the length of time the man has been on the therapy and the degree to which he was affected. I have to say that a small number of men never recover fully, but I certainly hope won't be the case as far as you are concerned.

Exercise seems to be a good thing for moving things along.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Median time for testosterone to start increasing is 12 months and 18 months to get back to pretreatment level after 2 years of LHRH treatment. At least that is what I read in one study.

I have been off ADT since 2/09 after being on it for 21 months. I was over most bad effects (insomnia), after about 6 months, but my pre-ADT strength still is about 1/2 what it was. I am getting able to exercise longer now and my uncontrolled crying spells are mostly gone. It is a long road back, but the alternative is not good either.

I have been on 3 monthly Lucrin Depot injections, non stop for nearly 7 years. I was also on Cosedex for 3 years, both with most of the side effects. I have just started an experimental Drug trial, Abiraterone Acetate plus Prednisone. I was told to stop the Cosedex, but continue on with the Lucrin. It took about 3 months to clear the Cosedex from my system, before I was able to start the Trial. I have just had to accept the side effects as a part of my life, they are not pleasent, but I have to LIVE with them.

Now of course I have a new set of side effects to get used to, on top of the Lucrin ones. I am not sure if I am recieving the Abiraterone Acitate, or a Placebo, but the Prednisone side effects have already kicked in.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS