Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: THOUGHTS ABOUT TREATMENT

Aloha Dave,
I've heard very good things about City of Hope.
Have you had any side affects?
Joe

Aloha,
Well I did not get it right about prostate surgery. The sphincter associated with the prostate is apparently not removed and is located below the prostate. So after surgery you still have the bladder sphincter and the sphincter that provides orgasm.
Joe

Hi Joe,

You don't mention HIFU, and of course it would normally fall within the same category as radioactive seeds and cryo in that it kills all cells within the treatment area.

However, there are a number of surgeons who are experimenting with focal treatment using HIFU, in which only part of the prostate tissue is ablated. This is also called hemi-ablation. The advantage of focal treatment is that it gives an even better chance of retaining erectile function and full continence. The downside is that there may be micro-tumours which were undetected in the untreated tissue, which may go on to develop. Additionally, the overall longer term oncological outcomes following full HIFU treatment have yet to be fully demonstrated.

I had focal treatment on 30th October 2009 and my first PSA test about two weeks ago showed a reading of 0.4. Bearing in mind that I still have prostate tissue remaining this is very encouraging. I'm also happy to say that I have full continence and erectile function.

I don't want to make this sound like a commercial for HIFU, but hopefully it may be helpful for people to be aware of focal HIFU treatment.

Cheers,

Jeremy

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS