Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Things That Puzzle Me About PCa # 14 in an unlimited series

Well, Terry, more delicious food for thought.

As you are well aware, here in the good 'ol USA, we would have to work hard to see a medical oncologist who might suggest such a course of action/treatment. When I first was diagnosed, I read everywhere I looked that I should consult:
1. A urologist
2. A radiation oncologist
and
3. A medical oncologist...but probably this only after the disease had progressed so much that 1 & 2 could no longer play with it.

OK, I'm being a little facetious there, but really not that much. I doubt that many medical oncologists in the US even encounter many men with early PCa – the urologists/radiologists keep them in their corrals.

I am interested in what you think the implications for this are to Active Surveillance? If one subscribes to this opinion, is the early ADT attack necessary right away, or at what point does it become necessary? Roger from Indiana

Terry,
I asked my onco about this very issue. He said that some do actually put this forward as a treatment strategy - but usually with older men. In my case, my relative youth would invite ADT resistance later on. He also mentioned that there's some evidence to suggest that long-term use of ADT (even on an intermittent basis) might encourage cells to become more aggressive (or perhaps he meant that it's the aggressive cells that survive.
Either way, the combination of age and aggressiveness, made me opt for radiation

Terry,
Dr Bob Leibowitz in Los Angeles has been treating low risk patients with 13 months ADT3 for years and reports results equal to all other treatment options. He has published papers on his results that can be found on Compassionateoncology.com.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS