Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Time for Radiation

I have a Gleason 9 prostate cancer that was over 22.0 PSA about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I have had 1 lupron injection and my PSA has dropped to .02. My question is, when is the best time to have radiation. I am scheduled to go in on Weds, but am wondering if it isn't too early. I mean, if my cancer is shrinking down, shouldn't I wait a little while for it to get as small as possible before radiation.

Re: Best Time for Radiation

Aloha Resh,
Without doing a second biopsy, it would be difficult to tell just what your PCa is doing. The PSA is just an indication that your PCa tumor probably has stopped growing, so "shrinking down" does not actually mean what it sounds like. I can tell you how long I was on Lupron before my EBRT, but for the present, if you trust your docs and feel that you are in communication/understanding with them, I'ed go with their suggestions.
I would hope that your docs have been forward with you about your treatment. As you know by now, any cancer treatment will have side affects. Hopefully yours will be minimal. I have friends who had very little side affects, and some who are having a difficult time.
If you are exercising, keep it up. If not, please start walking, 30 min/day. Then try to increase that. During EBRT it will become very hard to exercise, it sort a drains you.
Hang in there, keep asking questions, make sure your docs know how you feel.
Joe

I am also a gleason 9 survivor. My docs as soon as I failed my first psa test 6 weeks after surgery put me on Lupron, then when I become mostly continent I started my radiation program. They indicated to me that this was the best protocol for my particular disease. So far it has apparently worked, as all my psa's since October of 2007 thru January of 2010 have been less than <.05%. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the .05's continue.....jwb.

Resh,

I don't think there would be anything to gain in your case by waiting. The sooner you are able to attack a Gleason tumour the better in my opinion.

Good luck - Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS