Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gynecomastia after ADT?

Greetings-

This is probably a simple question, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned...

I am now more than 6 months after my last Zoladex (Lupron) 90 day injection, and just 2 weeks ago started to feel tenderness and mild pain in my nipples. I had something similar (and some breast growth) some 2 years ago following 30 days of Casodex, but this went on then for no more than 2 months.

I may be missing something in the logic here, but I would have thought that coming off the ADT now should not show such symptoms- the return of testosterone should have the opposite effect?

Anyone have or hear of such an experience?

Re: gynecomastia after ADT?

Zoladex works by clogging up and then destroying receptors of the pituitary which normally stimulates the testicles to release testosterone. It takes a while for the receptors to grow back and then your testosterone will increase again. This can take months or years for your system to work properly again. If you get your testosterone level checked you will find that it is probably still low.

Re: gynecomastia after ADT?

Thanks for the info, Frank.

I'm sure the testosterone is still low, but my question is why after 2 years without this symptom, it returns after stopping the Zoladex?

Perhaps there is some kind of overcompensation as the body tries to restore hormone balance?

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS