Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Seminal Vesicle Invasion

Wendell,
My c grade is low 90% 3 and the psa was 4.5----my seminal invasion was miniscule, both the good news it was not extensive, and the flip side that it upgrades my class. what to do? my psa returned to zero within three weeks and has stayed there---my urologist also did the surgery, he says we should wait until we see what happens in the first six months. if it appears at all, then we pursue your strategy, if not, we merely observe.

i too went in expecting a lay-up and got hammered. thanks for your story and advice. WE

I am in a similar situation but with a PSA of 12.7 and a Gleason of 4&3 going in. With a PSA of less than 0.02 after the operation but seminal vesicle involvement I decided to wait until the PSA started to go up before having more treatment. There are at least three papers that found that recurrence doesn't usually occur for at least 5 years if one can get a PSA of 0.01 (ultrasensitive PSA test required)or less after the operation. My PSA did start to go up after 6 months and I started on hormone and radiation before the PSA hit 0.2. According to the Sloan Kettering nomogram delaying the start of treatment shouldn't change your outcome.

I would get tested monthly with the ultrasensitive PSA test and wait until the ultrasensitive tests started to show a consistent rise in the PSA before going for the next round of treatment and don't let it go above 0.2. I would also follow my surgeons recommendations if he disagreed with this plan though.

http://www.mskcc.org/applications/nomograms/prostate/index.aspx

Dear Frank,
Where are you in the effort? For me, my g-score was so low---it was a freak! Well, I hardly believe in probability any more, with a 4% chance of having seminal invasion---he told me it was an old growth, very slow, and quite "lazy." He reviewed the slides personally and told me that he believes it never penetrated the muscle. So? Now, I'm stuck on the needle---I'm taking the super PSA test every month. Still at .0000--------can you send me those papers. I was shocked to learn that only 5% ever return to zero. Thanks from Philadelphia. WE

The 3 papers are:
The Journal of Urology Volume 173, Issue 3, Pages 777-780.
Urology Int 2006, 76:227-231
PCRI Insights August 2005, Vol. 8, No. 3.

If you google them you should be able to get them or try Ultasensite PSA and Recurrence

Also use the PubMed site to find the abstract and conclusions for almost all medical research papers. Just google PubMed, it should come up first.

Dear Frank,
Did they quantify your degree of seminal invasion? Thanks. w

No, it was not quantified. It was described as widely infitrative of both left and right seminal vesicles. I went in as a T1 Clinical.

Dear Frank,
My PSA was zero about three weeks after the RP and has stayed at zero. My guy tells me that's a good sign that he's correct about the cancer "weakness." But, still, you know the dark demons of doubt and deception. Thanks. WE

My surgery was in November 2009 (See story under Watchful Waiting)
After surgery pathology showed left seminal vesicle invasion and two positive margins Gleason 4+3. I saw a radiation oncologist two days ago and she recommended adjuvant radiotherapy asap. My latest PSA was undetectable (<0.01).
I was also offered a chance to participate in a clinical trial where 50% would have radiation and 50% would wait and see. There was no choice as to which group one would be in.
The RO also said that no one knows for sure whether the radiation would result in a longer life or not. However she did mention some of the side effects of radiation including, rectal bleeding, urinary problems, pain, erectal dysfunction etc.
Right now I am feeling really well, better than anytime in the last year or two. Continence is 99.99% after two months. Still no joy in the ED dept although surgeon said he spared both nerves (some bruising that takes months to heal).
With that information I have decided to wait and see. The good news is that if PSA does not rise no further treatment is needed. If it rises when I am much older, no probs. If it does rise I can still have EBRT as it will most likely be confined to the prostate bed area.
If 'normal' PSA is around 4, what is the danger level for us guys? Does anyone really know?
Still hoping for a 'magic bullet' to be found in the next 10 years. Meanwhile life is meant to be enjoyed so its time for wife and I to spend some time doing that. Best wishes for your treatment and it is true that we have to be our own experts on our condition.

Dear Les,
Thanks----a killer vaccine is being tested here in the States. A huge clinical trial wrapping up in June 2010,
my local guy says the stuff works---we will see. Try to stay well. WE

i have started stretching and only water.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS