Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ED rates with HDR + IMRT?

I had a consultation today to discuss a possible combination therapy in Leeds. We're considering a single-dose of HDR, followed by 15 low dose IMRT sessions. I forgot to ask about ED risks, but it seems like incontinence and bowel problems are rare.

Does anyone know of any ED rates with this rather new approach?

Also, with regard to the thread on ADT as a monotherapy, I did not intend to be bad-mannered to fellow posters - if it was interpreted like that I apologise profusely. FWIW, the consultant felt that hormone therapy alone in a man of my age was likely to lead to the elimination of the less-aggressive cells, but over time, the cancerous cells which remain are likely to become more aggressive, so therefore he didn't recommend it in my case.

It sounds like good advice and I'll take it.

I have a further meeting with Mark Emberton planned in January to discuss full-gland HIFU (and the ED rates for that) and then will finally make up my mind after that!

Thanks for all your help.

Re: ED rates with HDR + IMRT?

David,

This sounds something similar to the combination used by RADIOTHERAPY CLINICS OF GEORGIA for their ProstaScint® procedures.

There was tremendous support for this procedure - which is brachytherapy and EBRT - on one Forum, which has now closed, so I am not aware of what, if any changes they may have made to their equipment or protocols.

They claimed very low side effects - and certainly took a good deal of care in collecting data. I am not sure if this has been published, but I'm sure they'll tell you if it has.

The men who went to Atlanta for the treatment were pretty unanimous in their praise.

All the best,

Terry in Australia

Re: ED rates with HDR + IMRT?

Terry,
It looks as if the single-dose treatment of HDR followed up with IMRT 'lite' is still fairly new, but I'm hoping that it may offer a good 'belt and braces' approach without putting too much strain on the gentlemen's private areas - maybe not the best metaphor.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS