Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DaVinci RLP Surgery

I second Terry's suggestion that you find out about the surgeon's experience with this procedure. I had a DaVinci performed by an inexperienced surgeon and he left half of the prostate behind. What you may not know is that any prostate surgery is a one-shot affair. They cannot go back in a second time or they will risk damaging the nerves that control erection, urination and bowel movements. These nerves are now buried in scar tissue so the surgeon cannot identify them. Your husband is in a fairly early stage. He can afford the time to check out the surgeon and consider all of the options. I regret rushing into surgery.

I agree with Paul A - do not rush this decision. At least take Christmas off from it and in the new year get your second (and even third!) opinions.

As you will see on Terry's other thread of today's date (about spontaneous remission etc.), I had a robotic with one of the UK's most experienced surgeons, but some of the gland was left behind. If you choose surgery make sure not only that the surgeon is VERY experienced but that he is experienced when there are set backs.

If your husband has had ANY previous surgery in the abdomen, quiz the surgeon as to how he plans to deal with that. By previous surgery I mean anything from bladder neck and TURP surgery through to hernia and appendix. I was told that scar tissue posed no serious problems. Well it can and it did for me. And it just has for Lord Andrew Lloyd Weber, the musician and impressario.

In my opinion, there is nothing in what you wrote about your husband's biopsy that shows any need for such a rush to surgery.

Ted from England

I also agree with waiting a bit. You do need to find out more information about your uro's experience. I was diagnosed in Oct of 2007, and had a sucessful DaVinci procedure in Jan. 2008. My surgeon had done over 500 procedures. I went in at 5:00 am and was his only patient that day.

Hi Claudia,

You need to hear this one more time, you have no reason to rush to any treatment. Take some time to research what is the best treatment for him (and you), then find the best time for him (and you), and lastly, the best place/doctor to have it done. Even three months would likely not change how well he responds to treatment, but it will allow you all to feel comfortable in the long haul that you made the best decision for you. Just don't rush into something that you end up regretting later.

B'rggs,

Thomas Reed

Re: DaVinci RLP Surgery - Feedback Thank You's

I wanted express my heartfelt gratitude to Terry, Paul, Ted, Lee and Thomas for taking the time to respond to my post. Your support and comforting guidance was a great relief. You lived up to what this website is all about....."You Are Not Alone". As a spouse, I have learned so much about Prostate Cancer. So much compassion to men facing this dreaded disease.

We are proceeding to a second opinion on December 14 with the Director of Urology at the University of Virginia, Dr. William Steers. He is renowned and one of the Top Doctors in Urology in Virginia. Their path lab will review his biopsy slides again. My husband's original slides were reviewed by Bostwick Labs in Richmond, VA. which is one of the labs recommended on this website.

My husband is wanting the RLP surgery to "get the cancer out" as soon as possible. I am trying to stay calm when anxiety is felt. I was very concerned when his urologist pre-emptied his surgery date without notifying him, had no record of his pre-op physical results furnished his office, and only 150 DaVinci RLP surgeries.

We are also proceeding with a local US TOO support meeting on December 8.

After 27 years of marriage as we have always done, we will provide love and positive support especially to my husband as he walks his road to cancer-free health.

My sincere thank you again,

Claudia L. Robert

PS As we proceed, I will encourage him to share his story on your website. As it would be good to return the support to others facing PC.

Claudia, you are right to be concerned about the doctor in question given what you say: "I was very concerned when his urologist pre-emptied his surgery date without notifying him, had no record of his pre-op physical results furnished his office, and only 150 DaVinci RLP surgeries."

You are both doing all the right things: taking your time, getting more opinions, and trying to stay calm and focused. I do think that unless you have a really very good reason to do so, you should not use a urologist who has only done 150 procedures. (See Paul A's experience).

As Terry has said, when you have made up your mind, whether that is intervention of whatever type, or Active Surveillance, go for it and put all doubts out of your mind.

You will both survive this as a couple. My wife and I have had to discover new ways to be together but we have done that and are closer now than ever.

Have a wonderful holiday and keep us all in touch.

Ted from England

I believe your husband will be fine escpecially with you by his side. I also just wanted the cancer out, but my dear CALM wife took over and made sure we had all of the facts. My uro actually set up consultations with a radiologist and other surgeons. My wife, (and this site) were my strengths through the entire process. January will be my second anniversary since the procedure and WE are doing better than ever!!!! Hang in there and stay calm.
Email if you need more info. lpullen@cox.net

One more response to agree with the above...

I had similar diagnosis and was encouraged by every doctor and urologist I met to take some time (ranged from 2-4 months) to get second (and third) opinion, discuss things with my spouse, meet a few doctors, etc. And THEN decide what to do.

Should you go for surgergy its crucial that you carefully and thoughtfully evaluate the surgeons record. As noted here, robotic surgeons ideally have done over 300 procedures and do them regularly.

I ended up with the robotic prostatectomy in June 2009 (was diagnosed in January 2009). It was a very managable experience, and I am a good example of someone who comes out of the process in good shape (undetectable PSA, no incontinence, slowly regaining erections).

The fact that you are supporting your husband and working together on this is great and bodes well for happy life together, regardless of the course you chose.

Good luck!

Paul M

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS