Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Changed staging?

Well, 4 months after my original staging from my local hospital in Leeds (varied between a T2a and T2c) I had another MRI last month - at UCLH, where I'm hoping to qualify for HIFU.

The phone conversation I had yesterday was a little concerning. I was told I had a bilateral tumour (which I knew). A large volume of tumour on left lobe, with 'possible' T3a. In other words the possibility of microscopic escape. No seminal vesicle involvement and no nodal involvement. But it's now suggested I go for a bone scan.

Usually, I like the word possible, but in this case, I'm not so sure. Bear in mind, this was a nurse just reading out the path report. But I have a meeting next week with Mark Emberton, so I need you help on the relevant questions to ask:

Here are some that spring to my mind, but they may not be the most appropriate ( I've effectively had the last 3 months 'off' this illness, since it looked like I was a fairly straight-forward, organ-confined candidate for HIFU:

On what basis do they change the staging? Where might the evidence of 'possible escape' come from? More importantly how significant is possible escape? Is it likely to lead to spread?

Does this affect the treatment I should be having? Should I be considering combination therapy of some sort? When I was originally staged at T2c, I was told then that there would be a possibility of microscopic, so is that just a 'get-out' clause they always use?

Any suggestions, or even answers, gratefully received.

David, England

Re: Changed staging?

David,
The change in staging is important; what was your gleason score and psa? The evidence of extra capuslar extension is also important as it will definately affect your treatment options. Radiation is probably more effective in dealing with extra capuslar extension than HIFU.
JohnT

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS