Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: psa

Since I was diagnosed a couple of years ago I have had a very difficult time. From the original biopsy through Croyosurgery, EBRT, side effects, pain and a general lack of quality of life I now believe that I would have been either better off or in about the same place if I had done nothing. Doctors in general are very quick to want you to do something even though doing nothing may be the correct approach. This prostate cancer is a strange and fascinating ailment.

Aloha Jim,
There are several men in your position that I know of and one man that is in considerable daily rectum pain and he only had EBRT. There is no clear way to prevent these situations, as myself, I did not start looking at the treatment vs web until I had serious problems. I now believe that I got the best treatment possible and I just landed on the wrong side of the curve. To land on the wrong side of the curve with treatment that was possibly not needed is unfortunate. How to notify men that they may not need treatment must be facilitated by the medical community. So, that those with prostate cancer will know just what their options and potential outcomes could be.
Joe

I was 71 years old when my family doctor found a hard mass on my prostate( with his finger of course). He sent me to his favorite urologist for another exam and then biopsy. The urologist wanted me to have the prostate removed as soon as possible. I studied the situation and decided that cryosurgery would be the least invasive and reported fast recovery. I had a massive heart attack 1 year earlier. A year later , after the cryosurgery,my PSA had jumped to 7.5 and I was having pain in my groin. Tests showed a tumor next to the prostate. The Pca had spread. My family doctor then said to go to a radiation oncologist. I endured over 70 treatments and later my PSA( after 3 months) was down to 2.5. As a result of the EBRT I now have ongoing bowel and bladder problems as well as muscle aches in my hips where the radiation was shot through. I also have continuing fatigue problems and 2 months ago I thought I was strong enough to climb on a ladder to fix my antenna. I fell and fractured a bone in my back. The pain that I had was just awful. The bottom line is that I have told each and every doctor that I consider my quality of life much more important than how long I live. They look at you and and they say they understand but then they turn right around and perform some therapy( expensive by the way) that saves your life but leaves you physically in misery. I have a friend who is 80 years old. he told me that when he was about 70 years old he told the doctor that he would not allow any more prostate examinations or PSA tests. He was a engineering professor so one can't say he was stupid or misinformed. I can't begin to describe the pains that I have endured the past two years. I wish I had done like my engineering friend and said enough is enough. My final statement is : There must be a better way my fellow survivors.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS