Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VED & Lupron

I find it interesting that your doctor sent you to a web site to buy a medical device. I had to get a prescription for mine and it cost over $200. I hasn't helped. I'm not sure why you would use it while on Lupron. You won't have any sexual desire. Perhaps it's just to keep the plumbing in operation.

Hi Larry,
My surgeon had me using a ved 2-5 minutes daily to keep blood flowing into the penis.I found one on line for $120.00 (American)Use of the ved keeps the penis from atrophing.Since my ed. isn't improving as fast as I'd like, I also use it for intercouse using the restricter ring.It takes time and lots of practice to use it for sex,but for my wife and I, it's almost second nature now. I hope I've helped.
Carl

Thank you both for your replies.

The instructions page I was given says: "5 to 7 times per week for therapy will help maintain penile length, dilate arteries and oxygenate penile tissue".

So, I'm fairly sure that the idea is to reduce atrophy. My question is does it actually do so, and does it do so well enough to be worth the trouble and expense?

I've googled around about this a bit and there is very little in the way of information about results, other then for sex.

Searching on strictly the medical side it seems to be that there is some differences of opinion about the efficacy of the treatment as regards long term Lupron use.

Being in stage 3 I know, now, that I will be in the Lupron cycle, my Doctor does use the on again off again approach, for the rest of my life.

As Paul A pointed out my desire is gone and unless I get a long enough period with a low enough PSA, a minimum of 4 months off Lupron I'm told, it won't be back. So, sexually speaking there is nothing to preserve penile length for, but it might be important medically.

The medical aspect is what I've had trouble tracking down. I'm hoping that someone here as already been down this road and can give me some insight.

To speak frankly I would just as soon not have to deal with this, and in a way I think it might just be a constant reminder of what is now gone forever. I'm not afraid to face facts but I also see no reason to put a poster in front of my face about it every day.

Thanks again
Larry

P.S. The sites my Doc directed me to apparently have the same thing as the prescription product but for only $79(U.S.)

I can buy the device and 14 4.5oz tubes of lubricant, that costs less then KY Jelly at Walgreens and is rated as good or better, for $100. The reason I would get so much lubricant is that the site offers free shipping on orders over $100 and they have a $10 discount code as well.

The competing site would charge me just over $120 for the same products. So by getting a little extra lubricant I end up saving $20. Assuming I actually can USE that much of the stuff. Another question I have no clue about.

I'm hesitant to publish the sites URL's because I have not dealt with them myself as yet but if anyone really wants to know just ask.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS