Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wife freaked out

Aloha Steve L.,
The implanted seeds are hurting (killing) your prostate cells and possibly other nearby body cells. I have not read the warnings that you mention. I do have a friend who had the same procedure. The reason you do not feel anything yet, is that the radiation takes some time to do what it is suppose to do to your prostate. Your wife has a picture in her mind that may be partially true and it would be difficult to change what she feels. In reality, you should minimize the time that your pelvis comes in contact (touching) with anyone else. Especially since your seeds are fresh/new. I do not know if anyone has been hurt standing beside a seeded patient, but it would probably take a number of hours (like you sitting on someone else), especially with new seeds, to see damage to that person. Your seeds will in a month or so gradually decay away, and not be a potential threat to anyone else.
Faith, Hope, & Love,
Joe

Steve,

When seed implants/brachytherapy was introduced as a treatment option, there was a good deal of concern about radiation affecting people other than the recipient. For example grandfathers were advised not to sit their grandchildren on their laps; there were suggestions that it might be appropriate to have lead aprons etc etc.

Of course, for the reasons you mention, these concerns were wrong.

One other matter that was subsequently raised was the possibiity of ejaculation of a seed during sexual intercourse, since the seeds do sometimes move or become dislodged. It was said that, in the unlikely event of this happening, no harm would be caused, but men were advised to use a condom for some six months after implants to avoid any possibility of this happening.

Hope this helps

Terry in Australia

Hey Steve,

A few thoughts from my experience:

Many people do not ever realize that they are exposed to things on a daily basis that approach and/or surpass the amount of radiation received with casual contact with a brachy patient. They include high-altitude flights, watch dials, certain electronics and microwaves and the list goes on.

Many people my age were scared s###less back in the late 50's and early 60's by nuclear bomb drills, propaganda, movies, and other media. These people have a deep ingrained fear of the mere mention of radiation.

The half-life of seeds rapidly diminishes their strength. With Palladium 103 it's 17 days and roughly double that with Iodine. Your seeds will decay to an inert stage in a few months and will be harmless to others way before that.

About your wife - try to keep in mind that besides the stark reality of dealing with your cancer there may be any number of reasons she fears exposure. Respect her hesitation to be in close contact for now and try and focusing on better things in the future!

- p (Alaska, USA)

Steve,

What you've described is a somewhat understandable reaction on the part of your wife as radiation is a scary thing to most.

I got brachytherapy in February and my hospital in NY recommended avoiding sex and close contact for 1 month. The reality is that there is almost no risk to others from the radioactive seeds but the same way people step out of a room during an x-ray; no one wants any possible exposure.

Once time goes by your wife will relax and things will change I'm sure. This was my experience as my wife didn't get too close at first and after 1-2 months all was back to as before.

Al

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS