Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: After 6 months I'm reading the body of the pathology report......

I never yell at anyone, let alone someone who is asking intelligent questions, the answers to which may help others. It's great that you are getting around to reading your reports - something we suggest everyone should do (possibly a little earlier than you are!!) - and trying to gain an inderstanding of what they mean, so you can make a better decision.

Your question is If they ain’t sure in the lab if a sample is or ain’t cancer....how can they/ I be sure a microscopic piece of tissue left near the exit door/margin is cancer and not a piece of BHP/nodule left behind? (Incidentally, I removed the CAPITALS - as you may or may not know, that is the equivalent of yelling in cyberspace, and we try not to yell here on Yana.)

The simple answer to the question is that no one can ever be certain that the minute piece of material that is being examined is adenacarcinoma or one of the many variations in cellular structure that occurs for many reasons creating what are known as atypical cells - we'd probably call them abnormal cells. Not all abnormal cells are dangerous - think, for example of a freckle (which is a bunch of atypical skin cells and melanoma, which is a bunch of potentially very dangers atypical skin cells)

So what the pathologist seems to be saying is that there are some pieces of the gland that seem to consist of BHP atypical cells. That is what in legal terms may be regarded as an obiter dicta, although it may also be put in to explain the nodule, or even part of the increased in PSA, generated by the larger number of cells associated with BHP.

I don't think, from what you have said previously, that anyone says they have identified atypical cells outside of the portion of your body they removed in surgery. I think that what your report says is that there is a positive margin, which implies a greater probability that the disease may have extended beyond the capsule.

The recommendation for early secondary treatment - EBRT in your case - is based on the theory that early radiation to a disease that is still ocntained within the capsule - and as we've discussed that is what the Stage T3 opinion is saying - will have a greater chance of remission.

The opposite view to that is that although there may be a probability of extra capsular extension, there is also a probability that the disease was in fact contained within the removed material, in which case the application of additional therapy would not be appropriate.

Does that help? If not, ask away, with no fear - and no yelling:-)

All the best

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS