Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracytherapy

G'day Joshua,

Sorry to hear about your uncle. It is indeed a minefield and there is a good deal of confusion about. If you're uncle is not Internet competent, would you find it useful for him to have a copy of my booklet - A Strange Place? You can download it here STRANGE PLACE and print it for yourself, but it is quite long and I'd be happy to mail him a hard copy if you give me his snail mail address.

The Yana site has a section on BRACHYTHERAPY whhich should give you the basic information you are lokoing for. And in the part of the site where men tell of their experiences you can read about the outome of BRACHYTHERAPY EXPERIENCES. You will see that most of the men give their e-mail addresses so you can communicate with them directly.

God luck and if you have any specificc questions, come back here with them.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Hi Terry,
Thanks..I really appreciate the information and am finding this website an absolutely invaluable tool in finding out information.
Thanks again.
Best regards
Josh

Joshua,
Brachytherapy is used for smaller prostates, under 60mm, and for low and intermediate grade PC, G6 and G7. It may be supplemented with 25 treatments of IMRT.
The prostate can be shrunk about 50% using Casodex and Proscar.
The procedure is less than 1 hour and there is less pain than a biopsy. You can return to all normal activities the next day so it is the most convenient of all the treatment options, it also has the least side affects. Urinary frequency and urgency last from 4 to 12 weeks and are manageble using Flowmax and won't affect anything you want to do. Incontenance is rare, so are bowel problems. There is a low incidence of urinary obstruction. The cure rate is similar to surgery.
I had seed implants 3 months ago and was home within 3 hours of leaving the house; played golf the next day. Had frequency and urgency for about 4 weeks, an irratation, but not a major issue. The procedure and side affects exceeded my expectations.
Be sure the doctors has done at least 500 procedures as skill is critical in both cre rates and side affects. Also make sure the doctor does follow up CT scans in two weeks as a quality control to insure all the seeds are correctly placed and there are no dead spots."Brachytherapy and IMRT" by Dr Michael Datoli is available on Amazon.
JohnT

Hi John
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. The information is really useful and I'm taking it all on board.
Best regards
Andy

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS