Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: P.S,A, testing

If you are choosing to do watchful waiting, then you aren't choosing to do anything about your testosterone (T) levels.

One way to treat prostate cancer is with ADT androgen deprivation therapy. This does slow the cancer's progression for a time and reduces T to very low level, but usually with significant side effects that you can find described on this board. This is not usually a treatment choice made by someone with low risk, early stage cancer.

Normal T levels are at or above 325. The test should be done in the morning, as T levels tend to fall during the day.

Aloha purelife52,
PSA testing frequency (at any time) depends on your initial test results, your family history, and you and your doc. The better chance you have of developing cancer, the more frequent your PSA test (perhaps monthly). If your initial PSA testing did not relate to cancer testing (as a result of a biopsy), then PSA would not mean much. If DRE & PSA were abnormal, but not out of line, then less testing, perhaps 6 months to a year. Every man, young or old, is unique. PSA testing should be designed for your particulars. Get several opinions.
Joe

I understand your concerns about your PSA following your surgery and the focal extension shown in the pathology. But you have had undetectable PSA for the 3 months since your surgery which means you are off to a great start. Was the PSA testing standard or ultrasensitive? If it was standard you may ? be more comfortable about your present circumstances if you elected to have an ultrasensitive test regime. If you read my story you will see that I was a 4+3=7 and post surgery pathology revealed a focal extention (grade 3 cells at that point). I consulted with a radiation oncologist and medical oncologist at 8 months post surgery about the best course of action given that focal extension. Both advised that given PSA was undetectable at the ultrasensitive level up to that mark then the best course of action was to do nothing other than carefully monitor the PSA. I elected to do 3 monthly ultrasensitive tests for the first two years.......then 4 monthly for the following year and bi-annually after that for the foreseeable future. These tests cost only about $20-00 (fully covered in Australia by the health scheme) It is now 2 years since my surgery and ultrasensitive testing is still undetectable. Of course there is a slight possibility that this disease could raise its head again out of the blue 10 years down the track after being undetectable for that period of time but there is not much point fretting about what may not even happen 10 years from now. I would never suggest this is the best option for you but I would advise that you get a few opinions from different medicos and base your decision about the next step (if any) on what they feel is in your best interests and continued good health.
Bill

Thanks to the 2 posters named bill and the guy from Hawaii and anyone else thats posted a reply.
Now I'm obsessed with getting a P.S.A test done today or tomorrow. I'm in the Eastern U.S.A. No insurance and not to mention very little money. I've been on the phone for hours. All the wonderful Charity's, the American cancer society, the local Hospitals, are all useless in a case like mine. Once a year for a day or 2 they do free screening...But my situation isn't screening, it's follow up in their opinion and they can't help me. They will talk forever but wont draw the bloddy blood. I found a lab that will do it on a cash basis for $140.00 Paid before the syringe enters my arm. That's for the ultrasensitive test I think, there not sure of the price for the standard P>S>A. This will be my 5th psa since Feb. All non detectable thus far, and thats more important than money, thats for sure. Looks like the dollar menue at the fast food joints this month and the cheaper pomagranate juices! Perhaps I should jump the border into Mexico and come back in the USA as a Mexican, testing would be free, quick, and I would be thanked for the privelege of allowing the clinic to draw my blood! Enjoy you day/night.

Aloha purelife52,
Lookup on line
http://www.cancercare.org/
Call them, they may be able to help you.
Joe

Thank you Joe! I live really close to one of their office's and will call them asap. Good timing!

Can you tell by the results of my prior 3 PSA tests that I'm looking @ if they were regular or the much talked about ultrasensitive test? My 3 results, all the same say <0.04 [0.00-4.00mcg/l] comment PSA1 I only see the Doc. for a few minutes 4 x per year and have never asked. Yes I read PSA 101 but I'm an "idiot" thanks in advance!

The Tests were the ultra-sensitive type. If the range only goes up to 4.00 it cant be the regular screening test. Perhaps the brain cloud is lifting...but I doubt it.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS