Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PC Spes, Zyflamend and other herbal treatments

I happened across a company called Nutrition 2000 and their PC Hope products. Apparently they have shown promising results in lowering PSA levels and in inhibiting spread. I've read that PC Hope is very similar in make up to PC Spes, too, with a Chinese herbal base.

Does anyone know anything about these products and the status of trials carried out.

I've been taking Zyflamend for 3 years - initially to prevent cancer, but it was probably already too late at that point. Still, it may have inhibited growth!

Re: PC Spes, Zyflamend and other herbal treatments

I put a piece on PC-SPES and other similar compounds. You might like to read that.

All of these compounds seem to include DES (diethylstilbestrol)which has been the subject of many studies over the years. It was widely used, with good effect in the US and is still used in the UK. It is still possible to find doctors in the US who will help a patient use DES, but it should definitely be used under medical supervision because of the potential side effects.

The problem with PC-HOPE and similar compounds is that no one knows what dose is being delivered and there is plenty of evidence from Internet Forums that the dose can vary from batch to batch. It is potentially dangerous to treat any condition with medication like that.

Hope this helps

Terry in Australia

Just to add that simply reducing the psa figure is not the complete answer.

If it is seen as a way of postponing treatment, one could be fooled by a dropping psa. Whilst in fact the P.Ca. is busy mutating and becoming more aggressive.

I recall Uro. who was very wary of such approaches. Masking the true situation does no favours.For Medic or patient.

As supplemental treatment, maybe there is merit in such mixtures. But if the wood is rotten, then another coat of paint won't hold it together for very long.

Regards
Rob

Rob,

DES is a form of ADT, so it doesn't merely reduce the PSA but, like other forms of this treatment actually starves the tumour of fuel and can therefore be very effective in managing the disease.

There was a good deal of discussion some years ago about herbal supplements, like rooibos tea, Essiac, Saw Palmetto, all of which were said, by some in the medical community, to suppress PSA without affecting PCa. These views were not demonstrably correct in relevant studies.

I think it is very important for everyone to keep bearing in mind that PSA is NOT PCa specific. Of course it can be associated with PCa, but an elevated PSA level is due to some other prostate or bladder problem in the majority of cases. Some of the herbal supplements will help to treat these disorders and will,therefore reduce the PSA level.

The net result therefore is that any residual PSA level may well be a better indicator of any PCa action because the results will not be 'clouded' by the PSA generated by non-PCa events.

For anyone who hasn't been there, a visit to PSA 101 might be helpful in understanding some of the issues

All the best

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS