Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Recurrence after 8 years

Sorry to hear that Ron.

I had the seed implant/radiation in 2007 and I was delighted that my PSA dropped from 115 to 3 in 2008.

The PSA is up to 4.2 now in 2009 and I'm doing the watchful waiting thingy.

If it continues to rise in 2010 perhaps I'll consider undergoing external radiation again ... we'll see.

Good luck to you sir.

Phred,
I had my seed monotherapy in 2005, about 4 years ago. My PSA has leveled off at a fluctuating figure of 0.30-0.36.
I find your story a bit unusual as I've not heard of anyone in the US with a PSA as high as yours (115) to undergo radiation/implantation. I'm sure they exist. The expectation of a cure would be somewhat low based on the Partin Tables though I'm sure that it could happen. It's not unexpected that your PSA is still rising as I would expect that with a high baseline PSA as you would probably had systemic PCa. Normally, someone, with as high a PSA as yours, would go on hormone treatment to keep the PSA down -- unless I suppose you are trying to postpone treatment and just debulking the primary tumor. But, what I find more interesting is that you are considering going for a second round or radiation. This presumes that it is localized PCa. What did your rad oncologist say about that? I've always thought there was concern about creating secondary cancers with a second round of treatment when your radiation dose goes too high.

Also, I'm not sure watchful waiting really applies to people who have already been treated because it is my understanding that more effective re-treatment is usually found when the PSA is increasing at a lower number below 0.2 or even the 4.0 that you are at. Have your medical professionals consulted the literature (i.e. the research)?

I am suspecting that you are located outside of the US and perhaps somewhere in the Commonwealth. Is that correct.

Alvin (US, WashDC)

--Original response--

Sorry to hear that Ron.
I had the seed implant/radiation in 2007 and I was delighted that my PSA dropped from 115 to 3 in 2008.
The PSA is up to 4.2 now in 2009 and I'm doing the watchful waiting thingy.
If it continues to rise in 2010 perhaps I'll consider undergoing external radiation again ... we'll see.
Good luck to you sir.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS