Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Life as it is given to us

George (and Joe),
My sympathies are with you. I have struggled with depressive anxiety at various points when health crises have arisen (fortunately not too often!). I'm going through a difficult time right now - still coping with diagnosis; assuming the IBS that I've encountered over the past 12 weeks could be bowel cancer (one cancer I can just about deal with but two??), etc. As a result I'm finding it very difficult to meditate. It's hard to keep focussed when your brain is whirring, but of course that's precisely the time that you need to meditate.

I can also recommend hypnotherapy, since that requires little or no effort on your part, just a willingness to go with the process.

The best introduction I found to meditation was this:
Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation by Larry Rosenberg. Even if you don't do the exercies, it's written with such wisdom that I found it very calming.

George, you've been an inspiration to me. Your single-mindedness in conquering the physical aspects of PCa has come at a (temporary) price. The mind-body connection is so strong that I'm not surprised the strain of the past few years has caught up with you.

But you'll get through this, and then your life will be in true balance!

David.

Yes, that's it, David,

I need the balance back. It's been too much on the downside for over a year now.

I'm trying to take it easier, trying not to worry about things I can't change, and getting into the garden for some physical activity, which I do find calms me down. I thinks that activity is about the closest I have got to a type of meditation.

Typing emails or any type of paperwork takes me an age, so I'm just doing little bits when I can, then leaving it when my mind starts to whirl and concentration becomes impossible. I do catch up eventually and try not to beat myself up when I fall behind.

One day at a time, I suppose. I WILL get there!
Thank you all.

George

England

George,
I was delighted to find this week that St James Oncology Institute in Leeds has its own 'Natural Healer' who has an open-door policy. She's quite an amazing woman and has been working with cancer patients for 25 years. She also gives away free CDs, so if you email me your address I'll send you a copy.
I told her that I was struggling to get back into meditation and she had me calm in no time!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS