Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cyberknife Radiotherapy

I wrote up a piece for the Yana site - you can find it at CYBERKNIFE

This procedure is still regarded as 'experimental' for prostate cancer because of a lack of studies regarding it's efficacy.

I would be surprised if it was available on the NHS, but have no information on that - have you done a Google search?

All the best

Terry Herbert

Re: Cyberknife Radiotherapy

Hi Terry,
Thank you for your reply and the info.
I have now read your full biography which was very interesting and thought provoking reading especially as I have only been dignosed with PC in May 2009 and have been researching every day since then.
My PSA was 5.6 in March 2009 and 4.6 in June.
Gleason 3+4=7 and 9 from 12 cores showed cancer; total percentage 10%.
MRI grading T1C -organ confined.
Currently opting for AS with a further PSA & DRE end September. Am looking into HIFU with the Sonablate 500 @ UCLH London-this is my most favoured option.(Cyberknfe, I think has still to prove itself) whereas HIFU has 5 satisfactory disease controlled results. With your experience your opinion and views would be helpful and appreciated.

Kind regards

Alistair

Alistair Ross Andrews

PS. Your Yana website is brilliant!

Re: HIFU

Thanks for your kind words, Alistair.

As far as HIFU is concerned, I believe that the therapy definitely has promise. There is very little published material (other than that provided by the manufacturers of the equipment) that gives a clear view of how effective the therapy is. What is abundantly clear is that for this therapy you need someone who really knows what they are doing and can demonstrate that. The damage that can be done by an inexperienced operator is significant.

I’m not sure how many experienced HIFU operators there are in Britain and if I were to consider this option, I’d be looking to go across the channel to an institution where they have been doing it for years and have an established track record that they would share with you. I assume you have read the HIFU stories on the Yana site?

All the best

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS