Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Post ADT Side effects

Hi again folks,

During hormone therapy I had the usual common side effects of Zoladex (Lupron), such as erectile dysfunction, and felt weak and tired for a long time.

A lot of guys reported becoming more emotional etc. during ADT, but that part didn't seem to hit me.
Again, many men reported loss of concentration. I believe it's called 'The Lupron Fog' on the other side of the Atlantic.
During my time on Zoladex, I found my concentration and mental abilities pretty good.

What has me completely baffled is that I am now experiencing some of those side effects almost 2 years AFTER the ADT!!

I cannot think quickly, I can't concentrate. Typing a post like this can take a full hour.
Emotionally, I feel 'dead'. I can't feel happiness or sadness - just a numb depression.

I have lost all confidence in myself, and I have lost that fighting spirit. I can't get motivated and I sleep badly.
Why on earth should this be happening now? I have felt like this for a full year.
It has me tearing out my hair in frustration.

I got through the worst of the treatment with ease, I regained all sexual ability soon after ADT ended, and my PCa test results are excellent every time I'm tested. I should be full of life, energy, and joy - surely?

My question is: Is this really all part and parcel of ADT side eddects, even if late in the day - or is it a form of depression after going through those first three years refusing to accept I was going to lose my cancer fight.

It seemed I was totally focussed on beating the odds, and even though physically tired, my mind was constantly alert.

I wonder if messing about with our hormones can result in long term complications for PCa guys?
I truly hope this post doesn't come across as trivial or 'moaning', because I know it isn't the same as facing an uphill battle against aggressive cancer.

But, it has impacted badly on my life, and I guess I need to know if ANYONE else has gone through this same puzzling stage. Is it normal and will it pass soon? - Or is there something I should be doing to win through this?

Very Best Wishes,

George

Re: Post ADT Side effects

Hi guys,

Another side effect which has turned out to be long lasting, is an intolerance to cold. This first happened within months of beginning hormone injections and having radiotherpy.

To this day, I can't go out without warm clothing unless the temperature is in the high 60s or over 70F.
I never had that problem pre-treatment.

My oncologist told me that he has never heard of similar cases amongst his patients, but from mail I've had from around the world, I'd say it must be somewhat of an unreported problem.

Perhaps it happens most to those patients who have had RT in conjucntion with hormone therapy?

I tell ya, you feel like a real 'wuss' when you're out and about in June wearing a warm sweater while guys all around are wearing short tops and hideous shorts!!! :)~

Anyone else feel the cold too?

Very Best Wishes,

George

England

Yes.
Very familiar.
In addition to the treatment combinations, I suspect the lower animal fat in our diet has a bearing.

Regards
Rob

SINCE MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN ON ZOLADEX. HE IS ALWAYS COLD. IN FACT HE WAS SO FED UP WITH IT THAT WE WENT TO TENERIFE FOR 2 WEEKS IN APRIL TO GET SOME WARM SUNSHINE. I THINK IT IS RELATED TO THE TREATMENT.HE IS ONLY ON ZOLADEX AND NOTHING IN COMBINATION WITH IT.

Thanks for that, Jennie and Rob,

I hope more come forward with reports of these side effects. It seems strange to me that it's not widely recognised by oncologists.

I'll be repeating my moans to my own oncologist (a great guy) next time I see him. I think most patients must forget to mention to him how much they feel the cold because they probably have other, more pressing concerns and time is limited.

Very Best Wishes,

George

England

Dear All,

The side effect of 'inability to concentrate' is having a big impact on my daily routine.

If any other guys here have been through the same experiences, can you tell me - did you find anything to help improve concentration and general mental ability, either with meds or some other route?

Hi George,
I found that switching tasks as soon as I felt the concentration going helped. As soon as I felt the eyes begining to glaze over I immediately went and did something else & returned to task 1 later.
If I persevered too long on one thing it became hopeless at times.

They say variety is the spice of life !

Regards
Rob

Hi Rob,

You know, that could be very helpful. I despair of the ever-mounting backlog of tasks to complete. I have been tending to spend too long on one task, fighting an uphill battle - because after a maximum of 30 mins I feel as though I'm swimming through thick mud, therefore the task becomes more difficult as my concentration goes.

Using your method, maybe I could do parts of each task, stopping when I know I can't think clearly - then stop and go off to cut some shrubs or something very different from paperwork, figures, problems etc.

Thanks for the simple but hopefully effective suggestion. I know for sure that actually being able to cross a task from my list as completed gives me great satisfaction - even the small things which have been neglected for too long.

Keep well,

George

England

I did not realize that what I was experiencing was an another side effect of ADT. I was wondering why that any task just seemed to me too daunting and yet before protate cancer I would tackle tasks without any thought of how much work they were or how long they would take. Now it seems that I dread starting for fear that it will not be staight forward but have complications. This tends to be related to physical activities rather then mental activities. I can work on the computer for hours doing complex mental work and this does not seems to bother me but maybe that it is more straight forward and no unexpected problems that can arise. I wonder if this is a depression effect of ADT complicated by having had PC and still wondering if one is cured or not.

Hi again TV,

I think you made a very important point with that last sentence:

"I wonder if this is a depression effect of ADT complicated by having had PC and still wondering if one is cured or not."

I think we can all agree that ADT side effects have caused loss of concentration problems for many of us.

By the way, my difficulty presents in the exact opposite way to yours.
I DREAD starting important clerical/number/official-type work on my PC because I know I begin to lose concentration within a few minutes.

I have taken Rob's advice, and now try to leave whatever I'm stuck with and go do some physical task. Even mowing lawns or lopping trees is in some way therapeutic for me.

But your last sentence really rang bells here.
Is the depression part caused by an underlying fear that because of cancer, whatever our current results say, we tell ourselves our time is so limited that we find it impossible to focus on what we should do next?

What is important and what is not? So much so that we never seem able to list them in order, complete the tasks and check them off?

As the old saying went...'so many things to do...so little time'.

If this is the case, I guess the sooner we can overcome this depression the better. Because with it - we really ARE wasting valuable, precious time.

Thanks so much for giving me, for one, some real food for thought today.

Very best wishes,

George

England

Sounds familiar. I found that weekly therapy sessions helped. The facility I went to had on-staff clinical social workers to help patients though the depression. Talk with a therapist, you'll feel better.

Paul, RI

Thanks, Paul,

Yes, I had intended to try that too. In fact my oncologist has just sent me a letter suggesting I see a guy who works in his own hospital.

Slowly but surely I'm getting back to thinking positively.

Very Best Wishes,

George

England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS