Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
possible stricture???

My husband had his rp in 2003 now undergoing RT 37 treatments. due to finish tomorrow - we are going to Oz to see our daughter and dont know whether I should take out critical insurance to cover my husband. What is the incidence of stricture or poor urine flow after RT should we be worried??

Re: possible stricture???

Pam,

It is difficult to predict the difficulty of stricture. Previous history of urinary problems are often associated with ongoing problems, but regrettably a lack of previous problems does not guarantee a trouble free future, although it does lessen the likelihood.

I doubt that you would be able to get any insurance to cover the risk - most policies that cover medical expenses will exclude pre-existing conditions, even if the insurers agree to provide cover.

Hope you have a good trip - if you're headed to the south-eastern states, you'd better pack your winter woolies, we've had a fair bit of snow and it was 5C this morning when I walked my dogs!!

All the best

Terry in Australia

retension

what is the liklihood of swelling of the urethra and retension after radiotherapy, we can get insurance at a price. The oncologist says it is low risk but it is up to us to decide, which I realise- but it is helpful to have feed back from people who have been there as it were. By the way it's Brisbane I think it is quite wet and as you say chilly in the evenings and mornings.

Re: retension

I had 40 radiation treatments after a failed DaVinci. I had no flow problems at all. A cystoscopy 6 months later showed no blockage or swelling.

Pam, I had RP in 2006 and developed a stricture removed by laser cystoscopy 6 months later. Had salvage radiation in 2007 with inflammation, painful urination near the end and for months after. Flomax helped. Had another stricture and needed another procedure a year later that seems to have resolved it. Based on my experience it seems the strictures, although severe, took months to develop and never did cause total blockage. I never did learn to self catheterize but that may be an option if problems occur away from home.

Bill N

Pam,
I'm currently dealing with strictures also. First time I had plenty of warning, a couple of weeks my urine flow slowed until finally shut down (always seems middle of the night). Urologist dilated the contracture, taught me to self catheterize (not that big a deal, sounds worse than it is, when you hit the gold instant relief). Eventually, I couldn't get through the stricture. Bladder retention can mean a trip to ER to have a foley catheter inserted. I personally had reservations about having an anonymous ER physician do this, so I sucked it up until my urologist office opend. Uro inserted foley then scheduled a bladder neck incision. Afterwards, urinated like an 18 yr old but came with heavy stress incontinence, trade off I was good with. Lasted 2 months then again I got about a week forewarning I was shutting down. Uro had difficulty getting through scar tissue this time with cystostopy. Managed to get through (painful). Local uro recommending AUS in my case. Currently wearing a foley. Getting a second opinion up at Mayo Clinic in a week. Surgeon up there agreed over the phone an artificial sphincter may be best treatment in my case but wants to have a look and consult with his colleagues..

So, at least in my case, I had several days warning I was closing up and intermittent self catheterization is scary at first but no big deal once you do it a couple of times. It helped me to make a mark on catheter where I would cross sphincter, then relax take some time don't rush it. I would agree that it would be good idea to learn how to do it and bring a couple of the caths with you on the trip, just in case.

Hope this helps,

Dean in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (stupid hot and humid here).

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS