Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Urethral Stricture Treatments

Dean have you had an expert second opinion. Ask around and find an uro whose expertize is in uretheral stricture treatments

Lenny
Israel

How bad, I really feel sorry for your situation.

I wonder about the difficult placement of the Foley. It could have been difficult because of the scar tissue, difficult because of poor technique or both.

I bring this up because an alternative might be Self Catheterization, even if there is some scar tissue this can work, besides it has a dilatating effect. This might sound scary for you now, but you should give it a thought.

I do it myself for 6 years now for a congenital bladder neck disorder that resulted in a lame trabecular bladder with virtually absent muscle function.
I selfcath 4 times a day and enjoy good quality of life.

At least discuss it with your uro and tactfully inquire about the very reasons of the difficult Foley procedure.

All the best,

Henk Scholten

Hey Henk,

I have self catheterized, something I thought I could never do to begin with. Sounds worse than what it is. On that night I tried a few times until cath came out with a small amount of blood. Enough, waited to go to hospital.

Just got off the phone with the uro who did the dilation. He says my problem is the scar tissue is thick and may have gotten into the muscle due to both radiation and salvage prostatectomy. The plan as he sees it is to do another bladder neck incision and hope it heals without closing off again. Slow stream, stay continent but able to completely void. If this doesn't work he says AUS is next. He's confident that we'll get good results even if it takes a few months.

Until next surgery I have to keep in the foley. A constant nagging reminder I have issues. It amazes me how much urine is produced in a day (or over night).

All the best,

DP

I had this problem for 2 years..now Im ok as far as the strictures go.
I was back and forth to hospital having some kind of metal rod inseted to the opening of my bladder. this was not a pleasant experience at all.
Then I was self catherting? for almost 2 years,started off 3 times a week then over time reducing the times I had to do it.
Never thought it would finish..its been 3 years now and all ok Hope this helps John Madden

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS