Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diet Problems

I struggle with diet as well, but for the last few years have managed a low fat, low red meat diet and lots of fruits, vegetable, soy, and POM daily. I have been slipping on the meat and now up to 3-4 servings per week I guess. I also added sardines to my diet and my cholesterol improved greatly, especially the HDL, so there has been that side benefit it seems. I am pre-diabetic they say (though the numbers don't seem to back that completely) so watching the sugar is good for that also. I should reduce alcohol levels but have not done well there. I work out 45 minutes a day very hard with with weights and aerobics and can run fairly well for a 56 year old. So...trying most of the "right stuff" but agree it is difficult. Thanks.

Diet

Aloha Stranger,
Seems so long ago, trying not to dwell in the past. I think that as long as there is hope, some will strive to hang on by any means possible, including diet. Diet problems have been with me for the last 35 years. Lucky, I can tell within a few days-weeks whether I can tolerate a food (prescription). With cancer it takes years to show. Thats a long time to hope. Shortly after getting the news, I started eating lots of tomatoes. The PLCO studies could not find any relationship between PCa and tomatoes, still, I like'em and I eat'em. The heart healthy diet is probably the only diet that gives results, but, you as an individual may not fit that curve (results), so, enjoy and,
Faith, Hope, & Love,
Joe

I eat poultry and fish (including sardines) for protein. Lots of vegetables with steady intake from the broccoli group. Daily pom. Also beets, fruits, berries.

I avoid red meat and my dairy consumption is reduced, soy milk instead of cow milk. I do not take any pills or supplements. When eating out, like at a friend's house, I will "go with the flow" but this is not frequent.

If you are looking for studies on the effects of meat & egg yolk on P.Ca. try searching for Arachidonic Acid + Prostate Cancer on your search engine.

This should lead you to further information such as -Diet + Prostate Cancer.

I have had no trouble eliminating all dairy, eggs, & red meat.
Cut out the cakes & biscuits.Reduced bread consumption.
Have plenty of oily fish + other seafood.
Cut out foods cooked in oils.
Increased veggies. Some fruit.
Avoid added sugar and processed foods.
I will eat chicken or turkey but only rarely now, usually if eating out for convenience.
Drink mostly green tea.Occasionally red wine.

I use half a daily vit + vit D.
Fish oil supplement. Curcumin.

Better response to treatment than Medics expected.( G9)

Reckon it has bought me extra years of life.

The choice is up to the individual, and I believe the stricter the choice of diet, the better the results in SOME cases.No guarantees, but science is begining to acknowledge a part is to be played by diet.

For those interested in diet and nutrition, you might like to read the book "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. It is most interesting and may offer some sober perspective as to what is happening in North America with respect to diet and the increases in Cancer, Heart Disease and other so called 'diseases of affluence'.

I found it to be a most interesting read and it is influencing my wife and I as to our diet and my fight against Pca.

Regards,
Bill Short

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS