Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Adjuvant Hormone and Radiation Therapy

In your position I would definitely wait to see if there is any need for further therapy. If and when your psa starts rising I would go for Radiation.Hormones is not going to rid you of the cancer. The reason I would not start radiation immediately is because of the possible side effects.
Quality of life issues are often ignored by doctors. Their job is to rid you of the cancer. I suggest that do all your research and not be in a hurry to do anything until there is a real reason like a rising psa. Why start treatment that might not be neccesary?

Lenny
Israel

Wendell,
I believe this decision really depends upon the specifics of your pathology and the knowledge and experience of your doctors. And your choice.

I had surgery for Gleason 7 cancer and also had a positive margin, but no seminal vesicle invasion. My PSA both 6 and 10 weeks after surgery was detectable at 0.1. I started radiation 13 weeks after surgery and had no accompanying hormone treatment.

My original urologist retired, and midway in my radiation treatment a new urologist came to replace him and said I should be doing hormones along with the radiation. I didn't agree, nor did the literature I had seen suggest hormones to accompany the radiation. So I continued as before.

One week after finishing radiation, and right up to now, 18 months later, my PSA is undetectable and I feel great. Lucky me.

If I read you correctly you have already had at least one hormone injection but are having second thoughts about continuing. Just keep informing yourself and make the best decision you can. It is unlikely that any of us here can really steer you with any degree of assurance.

I got really careful and disciplined with my diet from the moment of my original diagnosis till now. If that is doable for you it could be helpful.

Give it your best shot and good luck.

Hi...I had surgery 4 years ago,Radiation 18 months ago..started hormone treatment Jan 2009 after psa went from 0.03 to 0.13 over 9 months. In April 2009 psa down to 0.01. Will probably stop hormones this July that will be 6 months then watch and wait from then.
In your case I would not continue hormone treatment ,no need at present.
AS you know this treatment is not a cure...keep it as an option when your psa rises.
Hope u feeling ok..Im not good with this treatment,but thats life. Take care

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS