Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bowel problems during and after EBRT.

After having EBRT I am still having difficulties with loose bowels. Immodium doesn't seem to help. How long will the problem normally last? Are there other medicines to slow the problem?

Re: Bowel problems during and after EBRT.

I had loose bowels a few times a day during and after my EBRT. I don't recall how long it took to clear up but it was quite a while. If meds don't help, try a diet change. I remember the BRAT diet helped me: bananas, rice, applesauce and tea. The docs said to avoid fiber because it would irritate the delicate tissues in the colon.

Hi,
I had fairly severe bowel problems which started three days into the R/T. !

Codeine phosphate might help a bit, but don't stay on it for too long.

Low fibre diet as Paul suggests. I also avoided gluten completely and yeast.However, recovery can vary from a few weeks to over a year to settle down. I still ( over four years on ) must ensure bowels are empty before going out in the mornings.

It does ease in time.

On the ERBT site some of the patients have said that metamucil works. It sounds counter productive as it contains fiber, but they sware by it.
JT

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS