Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Aspirin effects on psa levels

Studies seem to suggest aspirin can lower psa levels. Whether this is just disguising the true psa level is not clear.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/11/16/42944.aspx

Re: Aspirin effects on psa levels

Hi Jim,

lowering the PSA level is not really what this is all about is it?
I had a high psa in Spain and was offered pumpkin seed therapy which the pharmacist was very keen on. All though it lowered my PSA I still had cancer. I have also taken 75mg Asprin tablets and a Mediterranean diet for ten years and still got it. So I would not recommend any thing without clinical trials.

All the best

David

Aloha,
I agree, have been taking 325 mg aspirin on & off for the past 35 years to help reduce sinus infections. I see no correlation. How ever, as Terry often states, every one is different & reacts differently to different things (drugs).
Faith, Hope, & Love,
Joe

Bottom line: you can't fight genetics...but you could throw a lot of punches and kicks!
Eat what God created, drink water, saw palmetto, selenium, pom. juice, ground flaxseeds...work out (at least 30 minutes daily-even if its a brisk walk)-PRAY. Dave

Aspirin and distant metastasis:

The use of anticoagulants improves biochemical control of localized prostate cancer treated with radiotherapy.
Choe KS, Correa D, Jani AB, Liauw SL.

Department Radiation and Cellular Oncology, University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois

I read a lot of research papers and this is the only one with results that might quickly change the radiation protocol for those being treated for high risk cancer (think GS 7 or greater). They found that taking aspirin or other anticoagulant during treatment and for the 6 months after treatment significantly reduced biochemical failure at 5 years (82% biochemical failure free with AC compared to 58% without) and distance metastasis at 4 years (1% with AC compared to 5% without).

Does anyone else want to comment on the paper in case I am reading too much into their results?

Th Anticoagulants (ACs) in the study included warfarin, clopidogrel, and/or aspirin.

Without knowing the detail of who had what it is difficult to tie down this study as being related to aspirin alone. The study also says - ....along with Gleason score, T classification, and initial PSA, the use of AC therapy was associated independently with improved biochemical control

Not too sure just what this means, but it seems that you'd need to read the entire study to see just what the claimed effects were.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Terry,
It was really Fig. 2 that jumped out at me. It would suggest that taking aspirin or the other AC would give you the same chances with high risk as if you had low risk PC. 80% of the AC people took aspirin but some also took the warfrin or clopidogrel.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS