Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cholesterol and exhaustion after ADT

After 2 years of ADT I gained 20 pounds and my bad cholesterol is high at 145. I declined drugs to get it down for now. I hope to increase exercise, I already eat like a rabbit, but often go off the wagon and eat candy and cookies. I also continue to have extreme exhaustion, which I think is caused by the effects of ADT. Can anyone give me any advice or comments?

Re: Cholesterol and exhaustion after ADT

Hi Alan,
I was on ADT for nine months and also had raised Cholesterol and Triglyceride and the tiredness that you speak of. It took about six months following ADT for the tiredness and hot flushes to subside. I had to start on a statin to lower the cholesterol and triglycerides. My triglycerides remain slightly elevated, strange as I am slim and reasonably fit. BTW I was in my late 50's. Age and duration of ADT are significant factors in a return to previous homeostasis.

Just be aware that ADT increases the risk of myocardial infarction. So a healthy body is very desirable.

I am currently looking at possible hormone therapy for my PCa. My wife found an article that you might find interesting concernig preventing and treating side effects of ADT. The article can be found at www.prostate-cancer.org/education/andind/Guess_TestosteroneSideEffects.html.

Wendell,

It seems that you and your wife may not have checked out the Yana site for information on ADT. CHOICES – HORMONE THERAPY has a link to the page you identify here and other links that you might find useful.

Good luck - and just remember that not all men have very bad adverse reactiosn to ADT (me included!)

Terry in Australia

I had the same experience. My cholesterol went up so my primary increased my statin strength. The exhaustion was pretty bad. I did nothing but go to work and sleep. It took several month before I was able to jog again and lose the 20 pounds I had gained.

Aloha AlanJ,
What you experience, is close to all of our experiences. I am slim without much stamina, real easy to go off exercise. As a suggestion, how long can you go without eating sweets? I have always had problems (Chronic Fatigue)with sugars & non-sugars. So when you are on ADT sweets just made things worse for me. If you read ingredient labels, sugar is in every thing! Water is about the only safe drink. Stimulants take away energy that I do not have.
Faith, Hope, & Love,
Joe

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS