Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hormone Therapy

After learning that my PCa had spread to the seminal vesicles, I also learned that I am most likely looking at adjuvant radiation and hormone therapy. My urologist/surgeon indicated that he would be responsible for the hormone therapy portion of the treatment. My wife and I thought this would be handled by a medical oncologist. For those who have had hormone therapy, who administered the treatments?

Re: Hormone Therapy

In my case the oncologist prescribed the ADT, but my MD administered it. I’m on intermittent ADT, as agreed with the oncologist, but my MD isn’t happy with that – and we already have a disagreement as to if/when I should start again.

I was quite surprised when I tried to establish who was responsible for diagnosing my tumour as having metastasized. The radiographer’s report said something along the lines that the lesions was ‘suspicious for’ metastasized disease and declined to discuss with me the possibility of an old injury. The oncologist cast a quick glance at the scans (which I had offered to leave with him before my appointment) and decided it must be a PCa related bone lesion because my PSA was over 40.0 ng/ml. Again no argument about an old injury was brooked. I accept that the probabilities are that the disease has metastasized, but I have to say I’d be a little happier if I know that someone had examined all the evidence a bit more carefully!

Good luck

Terry in Australia

A hematology oncologist administered my ADT during radiation treatments. He didn't seem to do very much when I visited him. He just looked over the other doctor's reports and nodded his head.

Aloha Wendell J,
The urologist surgeon who did the biopsy started the ADT & recommended the EBRT/IMRT ultra-sound guided treatment.
When she left our HMO, several months later, a second urologist took over the case, then toward the end of my first year, I complained to a third urologist about the shot site pain, & he stopped the ADT shots. By this time I was seeing an Oncologist, he did not agree with this choice, but because of the pain thought it would be best.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS