Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: EBRT/IMRT

Regarding R/T;( external beam), I was told that the radiation continues actively for about twelve to fourteen weeks after the last treatment.
Healthy cells can repair. Cancer cells cannot.

The effect of the radiation rather than the activity lasts longer; up to a couple of years. Then all cells should have settled down.

Re: EBRT/IMRT

I am puzzled also. I have (as yet) no experience of radiation, but a friend of mine in his 70's had radiation treatment for PC 7 years ago. He had anus problems from early on which either stabilized or he learnt to live with. But his PSA was consistently zero and he was pronounced "cured".

Now , a few weeks ago, he had a complete urinary blockage. He was admitted to the ER and the doctors were unable to insert a catheter and their first attempt at a supra-pubic insertion failed. He was on morphine before they fixed it. He is now scheduled for surgery (probably a TURP?).

The thing is, the uro told him that what he has is radiation damage to the urethra. So to go back to what puzzles me, how did that happen when for seven years he has had no problem there? Does it mean that the radiation damage was done way back and the scar tissue has just hardened ? Or has the damage continued? (Of course it could all be due to something else entirely, but that is not what he is being told.)

Ted from England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS