Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: psa

I don't know why you'd want to avoid coffee and exercise before a PSA test even if you still have your gland. If the prostate is truly and completely gone, then it shouldn't make any difference. No prostate, no PSA (except for the tiny amount produced elsewhere in the body). Anybody else, am I missing something here?

Joyce,

I have no clue what the real truth to your answer is, but I'll offer what I'd do myself.

Knowing how serious the results of a PSA test is after surgery I would NOT have sex or exercise for 72 hours before a PSA test, just to be sure.

Coffee and Alcohol is suppose to be an irritant so I'd leave those alone for at least 24 hours.

If your husband had robotic surgery then sometimes a little prostate tissue is left so being "over" careful might be the best way to go. Why would I be over careful, imagine getting a high PSA result and the "what if" questions you'd have later, that's why I'm always more careful than I should be.

Then I'd talk to the Doctor when I seen him for further guidance.

The discouraging of sex and some forms of exercise (such as bicycling)are discouraged in order that a true PSA result is obtained before testing. This is because massaging the prostate can stimulate the release of PSA into the bloodstream and elevate the reading. It is for this reason that a DRE should not be performed before drawing blood for a PSA test. However,once the prostate is removed there should nothing to be stimulated and nothing to release PSA...........so these things will not affect the reading.Good luck with the test.
Bill

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS