Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

I have been doing intermittent Casodex 150mg and Avodart for more than 8 years. During the off periods of Casodex I take Avodart. The only side effects from the Avodart is a minor ED. On the positive side I seem to winning the fight of encroaching baldness. On the other hand I have to shave more and have hair cuts more often.

My psa reaches 5 when I go back to Casodex. In next to no time I get it to nader of 0.7

Lenny
Israel

Re: Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

I had a horrid time with just two shots of Lupron and my oncologist has said he will never put me back on it. I have even been talking with representatives from Eli Lilly concerning its complications. I would welcome an ADT that might spare me those side effects. I take it however that you mean to imply that Avodart does not hold down your PSA like Casodex.
Patrick, USA

Re: Re: Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

Patrick

I am interested to know what your oncologist intends substituting the Lupron with. Any ADT will stop the production of testostrone which the cancer needs. Hopefully by being starved it can be held at bay. This lack of testostrone causes the often terrible side effects. A combinnation of Casodex and Avodart works with some. The side effects are hardly felt.

At what stage is the cancer?

Lenny
Israel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

I AM EXACTLY ONE YEAR OUT FROM THE END OF IMRT AND ADT WITH A PSA OF 0.2, NATURALLY AS THE LUPRON IS STILL IN MY SYSTEM. A PSA NEXT NOVEMBER WILL LIKELY BE MORE MEANINGFUL. IF IT BEGINS TO SKYROCKET DANA-FARBER CANCER INSTITUTE IN BOSTON WILL HAVE ME USE SOMETHING NEW. I INTEND TO FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF PATRICK WALSH AND WAIT UNTIL SYMPTOMS DEVELOP. I AM STAGE B2 IN THE JEWETT/WHITMORE SYSTEM. WITHOUT SURGERY, SPREAD IS A GUESSTIMATE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

Over the years I have learned not to be afraid of a rising psa.I usually let the psa reach 5.0 before starting the Casodex. Avodart subpresses the true psa reading by up to 50% which means that the true psa reading should be 10. This protocol has kept me off the dreaded ADT with its awful side effects which I suffered at the beginning of my war on the cancer. My quality of life is of the utmost importance to me. Not everybody agrees with me, but that is my choice

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS FOLLOWING A REGIME SIMILAR TO YOURS. HE LETS HIS PSA RISE TO 20 BEFORE GOING BACK ON ADT.
I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE COMMENT.

Getting too close again

Aloha Lenny,
As my PSA approaches 1 to 2, the oncologist wants me to go back on ADT. I appreciate this exchange, because I do not want, will not go back on ADT unless we can prove that the PCa has indeed returned. It has been 18 months since EBRT/IMRT and ADT May 07 to April 08. I am just starting to have feelings again. I missed that so much, being touched, and touching, cuddling, caressing, I do not want to go back to feeling nothing.
Faith, Hope, & Love,
Joe

Re: Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

THIS SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. IF YOU DON'T MIND COULD YOU SAY WHAT YOUR INITIAL DIAGNOSIS WAS. YOU ARE DOING GREAT AND WITH A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE.
MANY THANKS

Re: Re: Re: Avodart as a DHT inhibitor

AFTER A WEAK SPELL ON THE GOLF COURSE AND A PHYSICAL MY PSA SHOWED UP AT 17.2. ONCOLOGIST [READ, A SURGEON] TREATED IT WITH ANTIBIOTICS FOR 6 WEEKS, NEXT PSA WAS 20.2. GLEASON 7. ONCOLOGIST/SURGEON RECOMMENDED SURGERY. LUCKED INTO LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP WHO TOLD ME ABOUT D'AMICO IN BOSTON, B & W CONFIRMED PSA BUT UPGRADED GLEASON TO 8. I WAS SENT IMMEDIATELY FOR A LUPRON SHOT, SCHEDULED FOR THREE SHORT RADIATION SHOTS TO CHEST TO PREVENT GYNECOMASTIA [WHY EVERY MAN IS NOT TOLD OF THIS IS BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING, I HAVE A FRIEND WEARING A SPORTS BRA FOR GOD SAKES]
I HAD 41 SESSIONS OF INTENSITY MODULATED RADIATION THERAPY LAST WINTER, A SECOND AND HOPEFULLY FINAL ADT SHOT IN FEB [HAD 120 [NO MISPRINT] FLASHES/CHILLS DAILY UNTIL STARTING MERGACE [THAT'S ANOTHER STORY ALL TOGETHER] AND NOW A YEAR OUT FROM LAST RADIATION SESSION [78 GRAYS] I HAVE A PSA O.2 DOWN FROM 0.4, NOT SURPRISING AS THE LUPRON IS STILL IN MY SYSTEM, A PSA IN 2010 WILL BE MORE MEANINGFUL AND PERHAPS DETERMINE IF THE IMRT GOT ALL THE BAD GUYS

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS