Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Urination problem after robotic surgery

I really need any advice or info anyone can give me related to a constant need and strong urge to urinate since I have had the robotic surgery. I have a major urge to go every 15-20 minutes or so. It is worse at berd time, especially when I lay down. I cannot get much quality sleep. I was told by my Dr that this issue , which I had prior to the surgery to a steady degree, would get better and go away after surgey. I have had the catheter out for a week now after having the Davinci robotic surgery. Does anyone know if it will take a while for this problem to go away and it is related to the cathter? Has anyone had similar issues? I am not scheduled to see the Dr again for a month.This situation is really hampering my activities, especially my sleep. Any help/advice woudl be seriously appreciated.

Thank you,
John merriam
TN

Re: Urination problem after robotic surgery

Hi John,

It is possible that you have an urinary tract infection. In any case, you need to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible as what you are experiencing is not normal.

Re: Re: Urination problem after robotic surgery

Thank you for uyour input. I did receive one email from a guy in Australia who said he had similar symptoms for up to 3 weeks after surgey.

I am going to contact my doctor about this tomorrow. Thanks for your interst and help.

John

John,
I would second what MVC said in that it may be that you have developed a urinary tract infection. It is not particularly unusual following this type of surgery and can be readily cleared up if that is the problem and once the bacteria identified. See your GP and have him order a path test on a urine sample. I had the same problem and it was quickly resolved with a course of antibiotics.
Bill

Thanks so much for your input. I am going to contact the Dr tomorrow and see what can be done.

Thanks again for responding.

John

John,
I am 47 and had the robotic procedure in July. I have always had bladder infections atleast several times a year and drugs never really helped. Make sure that you are drinking several bottles of water and cranberry juice a day and purchase some cranberry pills you can get tham at Wal-mart or any drug store. After my catheter was removed I had little bladder control and started to drink less fluids and the pressure and pain began. I increased my fluids and the burning and pressure was much less within 3 days. Avoid Caffeen or hard booze because this will add to the problem but a beer or two can help clean out the infection. I have had this issue since I was 7 years old and these steps do help. If you are put on meds keep the fluids up even if your bladder in not up to it. Ibuprofen can help with the pressure at night I would usually take 3 pills. Hope this helps

Best of health,
Pat
Phila,Pa

Pat
Phila,Pa

Thank you for your input. I have had issues with this prior to the surgery as well and it is 1/2 the reason why I opted for surgery. It is very frustrating for me at this time.

Thanks again.

John

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS