Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coming Off ADT

Aloha,
In January, my Testosterone & PSA started to show signs of increasing (last ADT shot April 08). At that time the oncologist stated that my PSA was an indication of PC returning, and he would probably suggest ADT again. I said that I do not want to make that decision based on quality of life.
So, here we are, next blood draw is mid April, couple of weeks away.
The last Reader's Digest (April 2009, page 95), had an article on the current meaning of the two reports, PLCO & British, and suggested that men with PC and rising PSA should get two gene tests; ERG & PCA3. Quote " If both genes are relatively inactive in a man's cancer cells, he might be able to safely avoid aggressive therapy - and its side effects".
So, collectively what do we know about these tests?
Should they have been done with the first biopsy cores?
If not, where do you look for PC after the initial treatment and rising PSA?
Faith, Hope & Love,
Joe

Re: Coming Off ADT

YOU WERE NOT CLEAR HOW SERIOUS YOUR PSA INCREASE MIGHT BE BUT REGARDLESS, THERE IS ANOTHER OPTION. I TOO HAD ADT AND WOULD HATE TO EVER RETURN TO IT. I PLAN TO FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF DR PATRICK WALSH [THE FATHER OF NERVE-SPARING SURGERY] AND WAIT UNTIL MY PSA NOT ONLY SKYROCKETS BUT UNTIL I HAVE ACTUAL SYMPTOMS BEFORE UNDERGOING THAT MEDIEVAL TREATMENT. DR WALSH SAYS, "THERE IS NO COMPELLING EVIDENCE THAT ANY KIND OF HORMONAL THERAPY WORKS BETTER EARLIER THAN LATER, WHEN A MAN BEGINS EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS SUCH AS URINARY OBSTRUCTION OR HAS A POSITIVE BONE SCAN.....THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT ANY FORM OF HORMONAL THERAPY PROLONGS ANYONE'S LIFE WHEN IT'S BEGUN EARLIER THAN A MAN ABSOLUTELY NEEDS IT."
HIS BOOK IS ENTITLED 'DR WALSH'S GUIDE TO SURVIVING PROSTATE CANCER' IT IS LIKELY AT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY, CHECK THE SECTION CALLED 'HELP FOR ADVANCED PROSTATE CANCER'.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS