Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just diagnosed - Live in Washington, D.C.

I forgot to preface my original post with my location as requested in the forum rules.

Re: Re: Just diagnosed - Live in Washington, D.C.

G'day Tom,

I'm on my way out (again!) but woncer if you have started to browse through the 600+ stories of men who've made their choices ahead of you and which are on the site?

They can be found, indexed by choice of treatment at TREATMENT EXPERIENCES - there are other indexes that enable you to "match up" your diagnosis with other men, by age, PSA and Gleason Score.

I'm off now.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Re: Re: Re: Just diagnosed - Live in Washington, D.C.

Hi Terry,

Yes, I've scrolled through the lists of fellows who have recorded their stats and histories on this site. I looked through my age group with particular interest but didn't want to start emailing right away until I read a little more and browsed through the message board.

At some point, I will probably contact some of those fellows directly, especially those who had brachytherapy.

Thanks for the info.

Re: Just diagnosed

Hi Tom ... I'm still fairly new to the healing process or so I've heard.

I had the seed implant procedure in 10/07 followed by five weeks of external radiation in 12/07 & 1/08.

My numbers were somewhat higher than yours with a PSA of 115, gleason 7 & T1c. Six months after completing the radiation treatments my PSA was 3.0.

I was 60 in 2007 and had no symptoms whatsoever. My Urologist and Oncologist told me that the recovery process would last "a few months".

It was at this very forum that I discovered just how wrong they were.

The day after the implant procedure when the catheter came out I experienced the typical symptoms ... pain, burning, frequency and urgency but nothing else.

I was started on Flomax and it helped a little. I consider myself 70 to 80% improved at this time.

Impotence continues to be a problem but, as with the urination, does appear to be improving.

One note: I was told just the opposite ... that the seed implant/radiation was the least likely to have long lasting/permanent effects. Then again, these are the same folks that told me the recovery process would last only a few months ... go figure.

Good luck Tom in whatever you decide ... it's a crapshoot, a flip of the coin and everyone is affected differently it seems.

My story is under radiation, Phred X. My email is there, write if you want, I'll be happy to discuss the details further.

Re: Re: Just diagnosed

Thanks Phred - I'll check out your story. I've set a couple of weeks from now as the decision point and I continue to be surprised by how much new information I'm finding.

Re: Re: Re: Just diagnosed

If you are thiking of seeds read Dr Michael Dattoli's book, "Brachytherapy and IMRT" it contains a lot of useful information.
Also the PCRI.org web site has a lot of information on all treatment options, click on "newly diagonised"
Gooog luck in your choice.
JohnT

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS