Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Am I doing the right thing?

Ron,

I am just on my way out, so do't have much time to respond to you.

If you are concerned about your decision, take a step back, postpone your surgery, read more: a delay will most likely not make any difference from what you have said about your diagnosis.

And bear in mind what Dr Jonathan Oppenheimer, one of the best pathologists in USA says on his BLOG For the vast majority of men with a recent diagnosis of prostate cancer the most important question is not what treatment is needed, but whether any treatment at all is required. Active surveillance is the logical choice for most men (and the families that love them) to make.

Good luck whatever path you choose.

Terry in Australia

Re: Re: Am I doing the right thing?

terry,
thanks for the quick reply. I will continue my discussion9s) with the circle of doctors and friends I have gathered in the last few weeks. One of the virtues I lack is patience. I (for as long as I remember) are one of those A++ personality types.
As soon as the news came to me, my initial reaction was let's leave now for the hospital and get this damn thing out. The ensuing weeks has my stomach turned inside out, just waiting even thuogh as you say
i can wait a long time. I'll just have a damned heart attack or nervous breakdown in the process.

If I may digress, my wife and I took the 'trip of a lifetime for us" a year ago visitng your wonderful conuntry and your neighbor New Zealand. The impression Australia and it's citizens left on me is wonderful and indelible.
Ron

Depends on what you expect to happen

Aloha Ron,
My condolences to you and your wife as to having to join this club. The best point is that you have many experienced men who want to share what they have been through with you as you decide what the heck to do now.
Ok, so the choice as to whether you have cancer has been made with out your input. You have been thrust into making a decision, or not making a decision, like it or not.
Most men, myself included had no idea what was going to happen after cancer treatment. Myself, I would not change my treatment decision given the circumstances, but I did get the short end of the stick. This does not happen to everyone, just a few of the unlucky ones.
It is said, that if you consider the worst (pessimist), then you are bound to be happy with the results. On the other hand, chin-up, only the best can happen to me (optimist), then you can only be happy if nothing happens.
Please, ask all the questions about treatment outcomes. Does your doc know of anyone the died of PC with your conditions. Web sites, such as NCI (prostate) have overviews, with all kinds of questions. My personal experience is that, no one can tell you what will happen to you during treatment and after treatment.
So, consider what you will gain vs. what you can lose. Is it worth it to you?
Faith, Hope, & Love,
Joe

Ron

That is a very agonizing question for many of us. Strangely it did not hit me till AFTER I had surgery 1 month ago...and it had to do with news reports as you mentioned. I agonized...Did I really do the best thing????!! I was staged T2c with a Gleason 7, and an " extra" post surgery grade of Tertiary 5 which bumps me up to 8 I've heard. Could I have just did the waiting thing? Actually it almost made me tough to live with for a few days until I decided that yes, after hearing stories of how P cancer can spread, at least I know it is out of me. Well almost sure..my post PSA is tomorrow. I'll deal with the side effects the best I can.

Did you have another opinion of your biopsy? I had 3 opinions...all resulted in recommending surgery. THe best to you in reaching a choice.

Ron

Ron,

If you've looked at your options and compared them in terms of risks and potential benefits based on what YOU value, and think that surgery by the doctor you've chosen is your best bet, then that's the one that you should make.

No one can decide for you and there are no guaranteed outcomes regardless of what you decide to do.

My treatment decision was the hardest one I ever had to make. I had second thoughts after I made it, but I am glad that I did.

For God sakes man, take Terry Herbert's advice and postpone. New information is out just this week, good science, that speaks to the matter of waiting if you have low PSA and Gleason.
Read about the PLCO study online or in US TOO. All the major prostate cancer groups in this country have combined to put out a comprehensive statement.
Prostate cancer is generally slow growing unless you have a very high Gleason, which you don't.
If, after you are well read on the PLCO study then and only then decide upon a treatment. I did IMRT+ADT and came out of it in fine shape. If you don't know what all those letters mean call or write me before you go further.
POSTPONE.
Patrick, Cape Cod, USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS