Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tertiary Grade

Ron,

The move to include a tertiary grading is part of the move that is shifting Gleason Grades upwards. There is an interesting paper Gleason Grade Migration which says in part:

Pathologists may increasingly be swayed to incorporate a slight modification of the Gleason grading system itself. As initially described, pathologists were only supposed to include the two most common patterns in the Gleason score. However, there is increasing evidence suggesting that presence of a third (tertiary) Gleason grade higher than the primary or secondary component is important, and should be reported. Pathologists may want to include a small amount of high-grade cancer in the Gleason score. As described below, new recommendations will actually mandate this change. Although not part of the classic grading system, this reinterpretation may explain some measure of grade migration.

This 'migration' of Grades will make currently diagnosed PCa appear to be more aggressive than histoically diagnosed disease and makes comparison of outcomes more difficult. I recently read some other interesting material regarding more potential reasons for the migration, which are not mentioned in the paper. I am still investigating these and if I find anything of interest will post something in due course - but it may be some time, so don't hold your breath :- )

All the best

Terry in Australia

Re: Re: Tertiary Grade

Thanks Terry...that article cleared up some of my questions. So if I understand it correctly, I had a predominant grade 3, secondary grade 4 and a small amount of grade 5....which ultimately gives me a 7+ or 8. I also understand this is up to the pathologists interpretation. I had my biopsy looked at by 3 pathologists, one gave me a 4+4 on the left side, the other two gave me a 3+4 on the left. All gave me a 3+3 on the right side. The tertiary came up only on the post surgery look at the prostate. Gee...maybe I'm finally getting this!!

Re: Re: Re: Tertiary Grade

Well, Ron, it certainly is a complex business!! But you're getting there.

I must say when I was diagnosed I found it difficult to understand how I could have Gleason Score of 5 or 6 or 7, depending on whose findings I believed - and of course now those would likely be 6 or 7 or 8!! So that's quite a range, especially when you consider I was staged from T1c through to T4 and my PSA was up and down.

Feed all those into one of the nomograms and you get a range of answers that says in effect "We really don't know what to say."

Good luck - don't worry too much about that little GG 5

All the best

Terry

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS