Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: psa

so i'm trying to fiqure out where my husband would be on this scale
his psa before the surgury was 9.9
6 months later 0.1
12 months later 0.8
then radation
6 months 0.2
than 12 months 0.7

here is the scale
Terry thank you so much !!!!

WHAT THE NUMBERS MEAN

If you have a Gleason score of 5-7 Your PSA increased more than two years after surgery
AND your PSA doubling time was greater than 10 months:
Your chance of not developing metastasis (having a bone positive scan) in:

Three years: 95 percent
Five years: 86 percent
Seven years: 82 percent

OR your PSA doubling time was less than 10 months:
Your chance of not developing metastasis in:

Three years: 82 percent
Five years: 69 percent
Seven years: 60 percent

OR your time to first PSA recurrence was less than two years:
AND your PSA doubling time was greater than 10 months:

Three years: 79 percent
Five years: 76 percent
Seven years: 59 percent

OR your PSA doubling time was less than 10 months:

Three years: 81 percent
Five years: 35 percent
Seven years: 15 percent

If you have a Gleason score of 8-10 AND your time to first PSA recurrence was greater than two years:

Three years: 77 percent
Five years: 60 percent
Seven years: 47 percent

OR your time to first PSA recurrence was less than two years:

Three years: 53 percent
Five years: 31 percent
Seven years: 21 percent

Re: Re: Re: psa

Joyce,

I don't recognise that Table - can you tell me where you found it and i may be able to understand it.

also

1. Gleason Score, PSA (presumaby 9.9 ng/ml) and staging at diagnosis - and date of diagnosis

2. Date of surgery

3. Date of radiation therapy

All the best

Terry in Australia

Re: Re: Re: Re: psa

the web sight is, listed under what happens if psa comes back after surgury

http://www.phoenix5.org/Basics/PSAmenu.html

psa 9.9 at diagnosis
date diagnosis 2.19.07
surgury 4.19.07
psa 6 months after 0.1
psa 10 months after 0.9

radation started on 2.12.08
psa 6 months after 0.2
psa 12 months after 0.7

not sure on the staging
tumor involed 20% of the prostatic
extends to extra capsular tissue and with extensive perineural invasion

venous absent
lymphatic absent
perineural present
seminal vesicle absent
high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia
lymph nodes four lrft pelvic two lymph nodes right negative

thanks ! so much !
Joyce

Re: Re: Re: Re: psa

the staging was tb2

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: psa

Thank you for the additional information Joyce – although you omitted the Gleason Score, which is one of the most important items. But I’ll assume that the GS was not greater than 7.

It is important to understand a couple of things about the table you referred to and to some general background issues, including this statement by one of the authors of the study:

''When men see their PSA levels rise again, they think that means the cancer is back and they need to get treated right '' says oncologist Mario Eisenberger, M.D., a co-author of the study. ''But men often live for years without having the cancer spread. This information will better equip doctors and their patients to decide what treatment -- if any -- is most appropriate.''

1. The study involved men who were diagnosed between 1982 and 1997 (or between 27 and 12 years ago). Many things have changed in the prostate cancer world since then, so although the article refers to the ability to predict the future course of the disease, of course it doesn’t. It shows what might happen.

2. The article refers to averages – the average time to metastasis, the average survival time, but it is likely the study would have referred to the median. It is important to understand that a median is the half way point in any measurement. So, for example if, as the study says, the median time it took for the disease to spread after PSA increase was eight years, then half the men would have had the spread in less than eight years and half would have had the spread more than eight years. So what is important to know is – what is the shortest time from rising PSA to spread and what is the longest time to spread. This is known as the range but unfortunately there are no references to range in the articles about this study, although there are some clues in the table.

3. Because your husband was diagnosed in 2007, his Gleason Scores would have been affected by what is termed “Gleason Migration” – see my note to Ron Crane in this connection.

4. This study only refers to men who had surgery – it excludes men who, like your husband had radiation therapy after surgery

So, looking at the data you have given (and assuming as I say that the Gleason Score was no higher than 7) , the first PSA recurrence was less than two years and the PSA doubling time was less than 10 months. This being the case it might be expected that the chance of not developing metastasis (spread) in three years is 81 percent; in five years it is 35 per cent and in seven years it is 15 percent.

Put another way, the figures in this table show a chance of developing metastasis (spread) in three years is 19 percent (or one in five); in five years it is 65 per cent (or two in three) and in seven years it is 85 percent (or seven in eight).

So there is a high chance, based on these figures, of your husband developing metastatic disease in less than the median of eight years.

Presumably it was for this reason that your medical advisors suggested immediate radiation therapy when the rising PSA was noted. Just how that therapy will affect the ultimate outcome is unknown because it did not form part of this study, but it should have improved the odds for you.

As things stand at the moment, based on the information from this site, it would be reasonable to say that there is a chance that your husband will develop metastasised disease in something less than eight years from February this year. Although the article says “…. Even after developing metastatic cancer (detected by bone scans and other imaging techniques), men still lived an average of five years….. later studies have shown that management of the disease with ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) can extend the range of survival significantly.

For what it is worth, I have metastasized disease - a bone scan identified a metastasis on my rib cage in May last year. I have had ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) which I have stopped for the moment. I do not expect that I will only live for four more years, but for a good deal longer than that.

This is complex matter and difficult to understand – it is also full of uncertainty – but I hope it has helped you in some way.

If there are still aspects that are not clear, please keep asking until it is clear. I think it would be a good idea for you to find a good oncologist and talk it over with him.

Good luck

Terry in Australia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: psa

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR INFO & TIME
jOYCE

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS