Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prostate Volume and the correlation to PSA level

I am going for a biopsy on April 25 as a result of having a PSA of 3.4 and a DRE that identified my small prostate. My grandfather had Pca as did my cousin. Does anyone have a resource that speaks to the correlation between a small prostate and an high-normal PSA. I have done some searching but I have found nothing really informative on the subject.

Re: Prostate Volume and the correlation to PSA level

Greg - this may be of some help on your question. It is from A Primer on Prostate Cancer by Stephen Strum MD. "...the gland volume directly relates to the expression of benign-related PSA. The formula used is GV x 0.066 = the amount of PSA related to the contribution of benign prostate cells. If we subtract this from the total PSA we are left with the'excess' PSA - the PC. If, in addition we have obtained a Gleason score that has been validated by a PC pathology expert...we can determine the PSA leak - the amount of PSA that is leaked into the bloodstream in relation to the Gleason score. If we divide the 'excess PSA' by the 'PSA leak" we have a calculated tumor volume. This is an approximation of the amount of PC present. All of this is shown in detail in the software for PC tumor calculation on the PCRI website at www.pcri.org."

I am not sure I followed all that, but perhaps you can and it will be of some help.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am going for a biopsy on April 25 as a result of having a PSA of 3.4 and a DRE that identified my small prostate. My grandfather had Pca as did my cousin. Does anyone have a resource that speaks to the correlation between a small prostate and an high-normal PSA. I have done some searching but I have found nothing really informative on the subject.

Re: Re: Prostate Volume and the correlation to PSA level

Thank you Peter......

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS