Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: bowel prep

Rick,

If memory serves, the biopsy only required a Fleet enema while the surgery required almost as much as a colonoscopy. That includes that awful tasting stuff you mentioned as well as clear fluids late in the game. At that point, stay away from dairy. Jello, tea/coffee without dairy and plain broth are OK. I also remember being told to ejaculate the night before surgery. Well, if I must...

Just remember that it may be your last opportunity to get an erection and ejaculate.

Paul A. RI, USA.

Prior to biopsy, I was told to use a Fleet's enema while sitting on the toilet (as in, there was no need to be lying prone). Didn't work well enough and I ended up with an infection.

Prior to surgery, it was a Fleet's enema again but in a prone position. I just went through the colonoscopy routine a few months ago so that agony is well etched in my mind but I definitely didn't need to do that prior to the surgery. But, your surgeon should be giving you detailed prep instructions.

Dan

I had Fleet for pre-brachy planning and for the procedure, this was 1 bottle 12 hrs before and another 1 hour later, don't go far from the toilet at 30 minutes after ingestion !!!!! pow....
chris nz

For those who have suffered a raw bottom from constantly wiping during a bowel flush, may I recommend an alternative? Get one of those squeezable sports bottles with a drinking tube attached. Fill it with luke-warm water and use it as a douche. Just pat dry with TP and your bum will thank you. My first colonoscopy was memorable for the extreme pain in the butt. The second was much more endurable using the douche technique.

Paul A. RI, USA.

Try storing your toilet paper in the freezer /-).

When I had my biopsy back in February the doctor and pharmacist both recommended mixing the Half Lytely with some lemonade mix such as Crystal Lite rather than the flavor packets that came with it. I found that worked well and did not notice any unpleasant taste. I had to do both the bowel prep the night before and the enema the morning of the biopsy. If possible, make sure you get the saline type enema rather than the oil based one. I had oily stool for over a week after using the oil based one.

When I had my surgery in April, I to do the enema again the morning of the surgery.

As far as the liquid diet, your doctor should give you a list of acceptable items.

Wendell

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS