Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Da Vinci v Open Surgery?

Clearly, from my bad experience, I cannot recommend the DaVinci. I'm one of three men in my small support group who have had tissue left behind after this surgery. Since they only get one shot at it, I'd suggest an open. Even the Chief of Urology at my hospital agrees.

Paul A. USA.

Re: Da Vinci v Open Surgery?

Like Paul A, the robot didn't get all mine out either. But given the advantages of the smaller intervention (keyhole surgery), I think that IF there are no other presenting problems, then probably as surgery it will be the best way to go. The problem seems to be the presence of pre-exisitng scar tissue from either injury to the pelvic area or operations like earlier TURP.

I am told that it was the thoroughness of my TURP that caused my (eminent and world famous surgeon Roger Kirby of the UK Prostate Centre) to lose his bearings.

Yet I asked repeatedly BEFORE surgery if this TURP would cause problems. Both he and another uro said that although it made it more difficult it was all do-able. Well it wasn't was it!

I subsequently asked him if I would have been better off with open and he said it has been so loong since he did one he wasn't sure if he remembered how. ( I'm sure this was an exagerration,but the point is that the robot guys are developing their skills on the robot and probably losing them on the old ways).

Anyway, my advise would be to think extra carefully about having robotic if you have any hint of a complication such as previous injury or scar tissue.

Ted from England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS