Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: tissue left behind

Joyce,
I had nearly half of my prostate left behind after a DaVinci. There was no indication of that, other than a high PSA, until I had a trans-rectal MRI. That test clearly showed the tissue. No surgeon I talked with would go back in. The chance of damaging the nerves is too great. Scar tissue forms around them after surgery. The surgeon would have a hard time distinguishing the nerves from other tissue and would probably cut through them. I've had to accept the fact that a mistake was made and I hope that the radiation I had afterwards took care of the remaining cancer.

Paul A. RI, USA.

Re: tissue left behind

Joyce,
Like Paul A, I too had some prostate tissue left behind after Da Vinci. The first I knew about it was PSA at the same level after surgery as before! Subsequent MRI and TRUS revealed the amount and location.

Unlike Paul A, I did not have so much left as him and to date it appears that mine MAY not be cancerous, since the PSA has fallen each 3 months until now it is 0.42. (Too much, but less than it was).

So yes, tissue left behind will produce PSA as will some other areas in small amounts. First your husband has to get thoroughly investigated to actually KNOW if there is prostate tissue left there (not nerve bundles, but actual prostate tissue). Second, if there is any there is it cancerous. Third, if the answer is yes to 1 and 2, he has to decide on watchful waiting or further treatment.

My uros told me that there was no question of going back in with surgery a second time, and I have not even had radiation, so I don't think anyone will adise that in your husband's case.

The odd thing about all of us here is that whatever form of treatment we have had, we all seem to end up on watchful waiting!

Good luck to you both. And take lots of s"econd opinions".

Ted from England

Re: Re: tissue left behind

This is an interesting discussion. I had been under the impression that robotic surgery would leave at least a small amount of tissue behind. The reason I have this impression is that my Surgeon, who has extensive robotic experience, said that I would not qualify for robotic surgery because of the apparent advanced nature of my cancer. He said that with robotic, he could not reach as far as he knew he would need to. Maybe there is some other reason for that statement, however.

Pete in Texas

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS